Jotul Castine 400 - draw problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hadleyfarm

Nov 10, 2008
Eastern MA
Hi Folks;

We have a Castine 400 (appx. 6 years old) that was recently reconfigured to a new location in our house. New jacketed 8" pipe runs straight up appx. 16" through open ceiling and appx. 4' of stainless above roof. I notice that the draw seems to be very weak - only get good results with the ash door open.

Could there be blokage within the stove itself (where should I look and is this process something I can do?).

How is the draw once a fire is established? I noticed that on the specs this stove is set up for a 6" pipe?
Was it being used with 8" pipe in its previous location?

Hopefully someone more familiar with this stove will reply, but in the mean time:

Check the location of the primary and secondary (if equipped) air inlets. Perhaps they are blocked.
Ideally, you should periodically take the stove outside and blow these passages out with compressed air.
For most (including me), thats not easily accomplished. Perhaps you could blow them out a little bit and
drape the front of the stove with a sheet to stop the mass of fly ash and dust that will come out, or try and
vacuum out some of these passageways.. a rubber hose taped to the end of a shop vac works well.

I would check the baffle/flue collar area like others have said for flyash and debris. When was the last time you cleaned the top end of the stove out?
Can you see day light at the top of the stack looking from below? So your saying 6" double wall up to the roof kit and then 6"class"A" pipe from there....all straightshot...is your flue collar top or rear vent? On my Oslo the intake draft opening is in the back on the bottom, anything in the way there? Has it been re-located to an addition with better insulation, try opening a window maybe. Maybe a clogged screen on your cap? keep us posted.......

That setup should give a really nice pull, its basically the same setup I have.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.