Jotul Castine or Napoleon 1100C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbalto

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
What I thought was a Hearthstone Heritage turned out to be one of 700 or so ever made Hearthstone Harvests. The Harvest was build by Hearthstone in the early 90s and was a cat model. The harves requires significantly more clearance in the rear so It didn't work for my application. I'm thinking the Jotul or Napoleon might be good choices.

Looking for a noncat stove with a med size firebox that will accept at least 18" splits. The stove can't be too deep and I need good clearances to the rear.
The Jotul is 7" (w/211) and the Napoleon is 6".

Any other stoves I should be looking at?

Is the Jotul worth the extra 500 bucks? It is a pretty stove.

The Jotul is a very high quality stove and imho, is worth the cost. It is a fairly shallow stove given its firebox size. You should also check out the Hearthstone Shelburne. It has similar dimensions w/ a slightly larger firebox and it is also a very well built stove. The Napoleon is a bit smaller and is a bit more affordable.

cycloxer....I've gotten qoutes on the Jotul in the 1750 range and I think that's going to be my high limit. I love the hearthstones but I think they might be a bit out of reach new.....

That's not a bad price for the Castine. The one good thing with a Jotul is that the stove holds its value over time. So if you ever have to move and you want to sell the stove or you want to upgrade to a larger stove, you will easily be able to sell this if you have kept it in good running order. The other thing I like about the Castine is that the front door has a 20" wide opening. This makes loading all sorts of wood lengths very easy and you guys selling wood tend to cut at 16-18". This stove probably has the best access to the firebox in its class size. If money is tight, the Napoleon is a decent product. They both have roughly the same 1-3/4 cu. ft. firebox.

Other stoves around this size include:

Avalon Spokane 1250
Drolet Eldorado
Dutchwest Medium
Enerzone Solution 1.8
VT Castings Resolute Acclaim

Both of the stoves that you listed are pretty well rated here . . . I like the Jotul for its well deserved reputation and cast iron looks myself.

The Jotul is tops for fit and finish, but the jacketed Napoleon will beat it on clearances. One stove not mentioned is the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap. Worth a look if you have a good Quad dealer nearby.

I'll second the Quad. A friend across town has a 5,000 series. They really burn well and throw a lot of heat. Solid product. More reknowned for their plate steel stoves than their cast iron, however.

The Cumberland Gap and the smaller Yosemite are hybrids, like the Alderleas. It's steel at heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.