Jotul F 500 Insulation Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Texas123

Apr 12, 2016
Stephenville, TX
I have read some of the recent posts on used Jotul F 500s. Here are my questions about the insulation in the
exhaust plenum.

1/Did this used to be nothing more then additional cast iron plates on top of the firebox in the older models?

2/ If this insulation gets too thin or torn, how does this affect the stove?

3/ How would one of these run if there was no insulated baffle at the top of the stove?

Thank you for your answers in advance.
Texas 123.

I have read some of the recent posts on used Jotul F 500s. Here are my questions about the insulation in the
exhaust plenum.

1/Did this used to be nothing more then additional cast iron plates on top of the firebox in the older models? Not sure. I know the older Oslos had a cast iron plate like baffle instead of the lighter weight baffle in place in the newer models.

2/ If this insulation gets too thin or torn, how does this affect the stove? The insulation reportedly is there to help reach the higher temps to achieve a secondary burn. I suspect the stove would work fine if it is a bit thin or torn in a spot or two, but honestly you can purchase the insulation blanket for pretty cheap money on line . . . or in my case the local Jotul dealer simply unrolled a bunch and cut it off to whatever length I wanted for not much more than what I would have paid on line.

3/ How would one of these run if there was no insulated baffle at the top of the stove? Not really sure . . . never opted to do so. As I said the blanket is pretty cheap. I definitely would not run the stove without the baffle as I suspect this turn a really nice secondary burner into nothing more than a pretty smoke dragon.

Thank you for your answers in advance.
Texas 123.

My Oslo has the cast iron burn plates. With a 1/2 inch insulation blanket on top. It does get torn up in a few years. I found a 10' roll as cheep as one replacement from Jotul. I've used it to replaced the insulation behind the side door burn plate as well. All this is supposed to keep the fire box hotter. I think it would be hard to tell it it was missing. But I keep mine in good condition.

Last edited:
This will be my first year burning and I have an Oslo but I’ve often wondered why the Oslo does seem to be less insulated in the fire box than some other units.