Jotul F 500 oslo wood screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Heenan

Nov 30, 2021
I have read on here that a lot people don't use their wood stove screen to listen to the fire. I think we really would. Unfortunately Yotul has discontinued selling them. Does anyone know where I can find one or find one used? We have a Yotul F 500 Oslo

16383695790239009998721238316804.jpg

I have read on here that a lot people don't use their wood stove screen to listen to the fire. I think we really would. Unfortunately Yotul has discontinued selling them. Does anyone know where I can find one or find one used? We have a Yotul F 500 Oslo

View attachment 286818
Yeah no one uses them. They are always tucked behind the stove covered in dust. Using them completely negates the stoves efficiency.

Well if anyone doesn't want theirs let me know! I understand it may not be as efficient but it would be nice to enjoy the crackle from time to time.

youll enjoy the famous Oslo mess when you open the front door. Have fun

I find if I really want to crank up the auditory experience I can just pop some white pine, cedar, hemlock, etc. into the stove and get the snap, crackle and pop effect . . . while at the same time retaining the heating experience.

Reactions: Heenan
Thanks always heard pine creates more creosote but just read thats not true. Ill have to try that.
It's not the pine or other softwood that creates more creosote. Too cool flue gases create creosote when the flue gases condense on the inside of the pipe. Pine has a lot of oils in it that let it burn hot, even when poorly seasoned. Don't do that. If pine, fir, or spruce is fully seasoned, just like any other wood, it will burn cleanly and not create creosote. The key is keeping the wood moisture content below 20% and the flue gases exiting the chimney above 250ºF.

Reactions: Heenan