Jotul F 500 V3 (2020) Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karl1989

Mar 4, 2020
SE Wisconsin, USA
Hi

I want to confirm my design for my Jotul F500 V3 Hearth. See attached image of what I have built thus far. I am going to lock the side door so I have ~15" on both sides of the stove. 19" in front of stove.

- 2X12 frame
- 3/4" plywood
- 1" of durock cement board (thinset between durock and plywood)
- 1" limestone slabs mortared to durock with all joints filled with grout

The Jotul manual does not specify a required R Value for non alcove installations. I hope I am reading this correctly. It appears to only require ember protection.

The F 500 V3 requires floor protection as specified below in any installation unless installed on concrete over earth.
* The supplied bottom heat shield must be installed on
the stove.
• Floor protection under the stove must be composed of continuous, non-combustible materials for protection against sparks and embers.
* Individual sections of floor protection must be mortared or otherwise sealed together to prevent spark penetration to combustibe floor materials. Any carpeting must be removed from under the floor protection.
• Alcove Installations: In addition to the Bottom Heat Shield, floor protection must include materials having a minimum R-value of 1.6. See Appendix B, page 27, to determine various material R-values.

1FE26AA3-E1CE-465C-8090-BD71DDF19B85.jpeg

Correct, for a non-alcove installation all that is required is ember protection as long as the stove has the bottom heat shield.

@begreen have you heard of anyone pouring concrete pad for the top of hearth? I have done some DIY concrete countertops and I think it would look really good. Can get a very polished surface that is easy to clean.

It's been discussed here, but I can't recall a good specific example to share. Perhaps someone else can.

@begreen have you heard of anyone pouring concrete pad for the top of hearth? I have done some DIY concrete countertops and I think it would look really good. Can get a very polished surface that is easy to clean.

One I found below. Interesting idea to do concrete, hadn't thought of that one yet!