Jotul F-500 V3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I’ve been very skeptical about this design from the start. We’ve installed a few. This is one customer that heats with their stove and the cat has totally failed as well as some other failed parts in the baffle area. This is only after one season. I’m not surprised at all, it’s a real bummer.

84216A68-4E5C-402E-A349-1E8692113085.jpeg 0D1E4643-D5A3-4B84-AE57-02707ABBF287.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JamesGuido
I’ve been very skeptical about this design from the start. We’ve installed a few. This is one customer that heats with their stove. Cat has totally failed and has some other failed parts in the baffle area. This is only after one season. I’m not surprised at all, it’s a real bummer though.

View attachment 279042 View attachment 279043
I have heard similar reports

Prices go up and quality goes down. It’s not acceptable.
There are a fair number of 2020 stoves performing well hopefully this one works out but like you I had my doubts. Time will tell I guess. So far I have heard a fair number of negative accounts

From the advertising propaganda " ground breaking Jøtul High Flow™ Combustor technology to create a clean burning wood stove that operates without the need for a bypass."

That seemed odd from the get go! Guessing there will be some evolution in components with this model. And others. Hopefully just bumps in the road.

Thanks for the info.

From the advertising propaganda " ground breaking Jøtul High Flow™ Combustor technology to create a clean burning wood stove that operates without the need for a bypass."

That seemed odd from the get go! Guessing there will be some evolution in components with this model. And others. Hopefully just bumps in the road.

Thanks for the info.
I hope so

It's a shame stoves aren't regulated like cars, where a manufacturer can take their fleet average to comply with emissions regulations.

Is Jotul replacing the cat and baffle? That thing is supposed to have a 20 year warranty. I have installed a few myself, and the burning season is just ending here, I haven’t heard back from anyone yet. We all burn pine in some quantity out/up here, I’d hate to hear that was a disqualifyer, or that over firing was.

Is Jotul replacing the cat and baffle? That thing is supposed to have a 20 year warranty. I have installed a few myself, and the burning season is just ending here, I haven’t heard back from anyone yet. We all burn pine in some quantity out/up here, I’d hate to hear that was a disqualifyer, or that over firing was.
It is only 20 yr for manufacturer defect

It is only 20 yr for manufacturer defect
Looks like that may be a claim here if there is a design flaw. Proving this may be hard unless dealers communicate with each other and send a mass tally of complaints into the manufacturer.

Looks like that may be a claim here if there is a design flaw. Proving this may be hard unless dealers communicate with each other and send a mass tally of complaints into the manufacturer.
I agree it should be covered because of that.

I agree it should be covered because of that.
Please reach out to whom ever is your technical support contact. There have been a few instances where the cats have come in from the supplier out of spec causing them to react like your first picture. We have identified this issue and will work with you to get a replacement.

Reactions: stovelark
Please reach out to whom ever is your technical support contact. There have been a few instances where the cats have come in from the supplier out of spec causing them to react like your first picture. We have identified this issue and will work with you to get a replacement.
I am not a jotul dealer. And that wasn't my picture. I have seen pics of multiple other stoves that looked just like that though

This is disturbing. The F500 is the largest stove I could purchase with a rear flue fitting under the threshold. If I replace it I don't want to go to a smaller stove. Two questions are = What is the effect of running a stove with a broken catalyst and how would we know if it was broken without taking the top off?

The OP is webby3650 .

Is this the new 2020 model with that weird hybrid tech in it? I was wondering how it would hold up...

Is this the new 2020 model with that weird hybrid tech in it? I was wondering how it would hold up...
Yes it is. But it isnt the hybrid tech that is the issue. There are several hybrids that have been around for a while and work well. They use a non bypassed cat

Reactions: D. Hermit
I’ve been very skeptical about this design from the start. We’ve installed a few. This is one customer that heats with their stove and the cat has totally failed as well as some other failed parts in the baffle area. This is only after one season. I’m not surprised at all, it’s a real bummer.

I have the same stove... where is the first photo located in the Jøtul?

I’m sorry this happened. Both are known issues and have been resolved. Please contact whom ever is your tech/warranty representative and they will be able to get both parts out to you at n/c. With out diving too deep both parts pictured were found to be out of spec when received causing the issues you have pictured. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns.

I’m sorry this happened. Both are known issues and have been resolved. Please contact whom ever is your tech/warranty representative and they will be able to get both parts out to you at n/c. With out diving too deep both parts pictured were found to be out of spec when received causing the issues you have pictured. Feel free to DM me if you have any other questions or concerns.
It looks like there may be collateral damage to the stove if this problem is not addressed. Does Jotul have an idea of how many stoves when out with these defective components? Will there be a dealer recall or replacement policy for owners with these bad parts so that they can be replaced proactively instead of waiting for issues to arise in the middle of the heating season and potentially damage their stoves?

Great.. that means all the ones we installed will have this issue it sounds like. It’s always difficult to to deal with customers that have made such an investment and then have issues right out of the gate.
Will there be any compensation for a retailer that has to make these repairs? Most don’t, Blaze King does though.;)

Reactions: Hoytman
Great.. that means all the ones we installed will have this issue it sounds like. It’s always difficult to to deal with customers that have made such an investment and then have issues right out of the gate.
Will there be any compensation for a retailer that has to make these repairs? Most don’t, Blaze King does though.;)
Regency does as well. It isn't enough but atleast it's something.

Out of spec how? Did you issue a recall for those affected?

Reactions: Hoytman