Jotul f100 clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Francisn

Sep 15, 2021
Montréal
Hi all, i got a jotul f100 at 9 inch from the wall but when the stove cruise at around 400-450 i found the wall behind the stove getting hot, my ir gun read are between 110 and 120 on the wall, what u guys think of this. In the manual they say the minimum clearance is 8 inch.
Thanks

CF98198E-47EF-412E-B487-80EF816FEF5F.jpeg

And the I am seeing the connector heat shield? It’s at a hard angle. 120F?
I don’t see any issues with that. The exterior sheeting on a house gets that hot in the sun. Distance to combustibles with double wall and heat shield is 9” so you are meeting specs.

If it’s 120C then hmmm… I will let someone wit more experience comment.

And the I am seeing the connector heat shield? It’s at a hard angle. 120F?
I don’t see any issues with that. The exterior sheeting on a house gets that hot in the sun. Distance to combustibles with double wall and heat shield is 9” so you are meeting specs.

If it’s 120C then hmmm… I will let someone wit more experience comment.
Ya its a connector heat shield and its 120 f , thanks

120º is fine. When the wall temp gets over 160º it's time to think of shielding or moving the stove further away.

My first stove was a F100... sure miss it. But, I'm putting a 602 in my new cabin build, so I'm sure I'll love that one, too!

Like you, I installed my F100 without rear heat shielding, in accordance with the minimum clearance specified by the stove's manual. However, I was very uncomfortable with how hot the drywall behind the stove would get. There were times I couldn't hold the palm of my hand against the wall because it was so hot. In the end, I installed a heatshield at the rear - it just gave me peace of mind. You may find doing so does the same for you.

Reactions: Francisn