Jotul F100 cracked glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Adams

Oct 28, 2014
Cumbria, England
Hi,

I recently bought a Jotul F100 multi-fuel stove. As the autumn has set in we've been burning the stove on both wood and oval 'duck eggs'. We've only burnt the stove on the multi-fuel for around a week. When I cleaned some residue off the glass this morning I noticed some striations in the glass that look like heat damage in the bottom left corner with some other slight marking in the middle of the glass. I've been careful to burn the stove using a stove pipe thermometer, even though the glass should be able to take temperatures well in excess of the 350 degrees it's been burning at.

I'm at a loss to explain how this could have happened and I'm looking for any advice out there. The major concern is that I change the glass and it happens again.

Thanks,

Craig.

Generally speaking, PyroCeram (stove glass) will not crack due to heat.
If you have damaged stove glass, it happened from a log falling against it,
the door was used to push a log into position, or it was struck with something.
Minor imperfections in the glass are not out of the question.
If the stove glass is still in ONE PIECE, you should be OK burning...

Perhaps this is from an overtightened glass clamp in that area? Or it could be a defect. Best to speak to the dealer about it if this is a new stove.

Definitely hasn't been struck by anything or used to push anything into the stove. The cracking is a lot of fine lines in the glass in the bottom left corner radiating toward the centre of the pane for about 3". Looks heat related but you are right, it should be capable of taking heat well above the temperatures I've been burning the stove at.

It can take the heat. Someone at the factory may have overtightened the glass clamp in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.