Dug8498 Posted By Dug8498, Jun 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM

1. Dug8498

Dug8498
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    NH
    Hi everybody, my name is Doug and I recently purchased a home that has a wood stove I believe to be a jotul F118. I think this website/ forum is awesome and I've been reading quite a lot. I've included some pictures to help here, please let me know if they're not good enough. The outside of the stove looks great, no cracks that I can see. The inside plates (side and roof plates- sorry I don't know lingo yet- also look good to me, but I want to make sure before I start burning). This house was built in 1983 and the stove was put in that year. The previous owner was a real weird guy but super anal and was very meticulous about maintaining things. I'm hoping to get some feedback on how this stove looks and what I may need to do prior to the winter. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dug8498

Dug8498
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    NH
    Ok very nice, I'm looking forward to using it more this winter. im impressed from the little bit we were able to use it this winter; has no vents to anywhere in the house, just radiates heat and can heat the whole house quite adequately.

I know the previous owner put a new chimney pipe in right before we arrived so I'm assuming I won't need to do much of a chimney sweep before I burn this year.

One last question I had- I've been seeing people saying they put a layer of sand in the bottom of their jotul. Should I do that?

4. Dug8498

Dug8498
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    NH
    Ahh never mind I'm reading the manual that begreen gave me the link to and it states to do put a layer of sand on the bottom

5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, normally I put down about an 1" of sand in a cleaned out firebox. A good ash bed will also suffice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dug8498

Dug8498
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 20, 2018
    Loc:
    NH