Jotul F3CB chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
My cousin in Philadelphia is looking at a Jotul F3CB for the 600 sq ft addition to his house. New contruction of course, so he will use a pre-fab chimney to go straight up and out. Vaulted ceilings, maybe 12'? Does he need a double-wall insulated chimney, or single-wall? I did all this research for my insert install in a masonry chimney, but never learned the ins and out of a fresh install of a freestanding stove.

The user manual says "A prefabricated chimney complying with the requirements for type HT (2100°F) chimneys per UL 103 or ULC S629."

I assume 6" inner diameter?

Yes, 6" diameter pipe. Double-wall is recommended for that long a stove pipe. He may want a ceiling fan in the room to help reduce heat stratification at the ceiling peak.

My cousin in Philadelphia is looking at a Jotul F3CB for the 600 sq ft addition to his house. New contruction of course, so he will use a pre-fab chimney to go straight up and out. Vaulted ceilings, maybe 12'? Does he need a double-wall insulated chimney, or single-wall? I did all this research for my insert install in a masonry chimney, but never learned the ins and out of a fresh install of a freestanding stove.

The user manual says "A prefabricated chimney complying with the requirements for type HT (2100°F) chimneys per UL 103 or ULC S629."

I assume 6" inner diameter?

6" doublewall connector pipe to the ceiling. Then swotch to doublewall chimney from there

Yes a ceiling fan is part of the addition.

So a double wall chimney has and air gap between the walls, or insulation?

Yes a ceiling fan is part of the addition.

So a double wall chimney has and air gap between the walls, or insulation?
Chimney has insulation, connector pipe has an airgap

Last edited by a moderator: