Jotul F400 Castine air leak around side burn plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Hi Everyone,

I have a 4 year old F400. I am trying to decide if this air leak between the side burn plat and the back corner is significant and should be addressed or not.

For reference the air is fully closed at this point of the burn. The air leak can be seen on the left side right where the side burn plate meets the angled back of the the stove.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Evan

7D72751D-EFB8-4830-940F-97BC95733A0B.jpeg

That would concern me. I think I’d be looking to fix. Could get worse and cause damage.

Clean out the firebox of all ash and caulk that bottom side seam with some furnace cement. Let it set up and see if that fixes the issue.

Reactions: EbS-P
Late update. I was able just to pack ash in the seam and stop that small air leak. What itch my first hot all yellow long leaf pine reload of the season and it’s obvious that I have a leaky door gasket.

The easiest way to find and air leak in my stove is a hot relaod with pine and let it get good and hot and shut the air down all the way. Any yellow flame is an air leak. With most the other leaks fixed it’s pretty obvious where air is entering the firebox from places it shouldn’t. To be honest I’ve probably had this door gasket by the hinges leaking for quite some time. Bottom glass or door gasket is not tight either.

These are small leaks and take pretty high draft conditions to really start pulling enough air through to see the actual origin

3 1/2 seasons out of a doer gasket??? Is that average call it 6 cords on a med small stove.

Any tips for the Jotul door gaskets where there is no latch adjustment?
Evan

image.jpg

Have not had any leaks yet on my f400. Gaskets (Door, ceramic glass, and ashpan door) still feel pretty tight. Joints at seams also look good so far. I bought it used 2+ years ago, but was in excellent condition, pretty much mint as it looked like they barely used it.

Reactions: EbS-P
I think I got 9or 10 years out of my gaskets on the Oslo . . . and some I have yet to replace as they are still fine after 13 years of use.

I think I got 9or 10 years out of my gaskets on the Oslo . . . and some I have yet to replace as they are still fine after 13 years of use.
It’s not the door gasket. Stove cooled down enough to $ bill test.

The front frame/side gap has a larger gap on the right side than the left. I’m guessing that’s it.