Jotul F400 Glass Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
I woke up this morning and went to get my wood stove burning again with the few coals that were left in there from over night. After I got a fire going I left the door cracked open to help the ignition. As I was in the other room I heard a loud pop and thought it was the wood catching but when I returned the glass had a crack going from one side to the other. :eek:

So now I need to replace the one piece glass. The problem is there are 2 different thicknesses, 1/8" which has a metal channel and 3/16". I'm not sure what the metal channel means. My glass doesn't have any metal on it but there is a metal channel with a gasket on the door. Does anyone know what the metal channel is about? Should I just measure the thickness of the glass I have? Does anyone have a recommendation where I should get a new glass from?

A good local glass shop should have ceramic glass and be able to cut a new one, using the old glass as a template. That is odd that it cracked like that. Had some wood been pressed hard against the glass when the stove door was closed? Had the retainer clips been recently tightened?

There is also www.onedayglass.com that you could send a paper template to.

A good local glass shop should have ceramic glass and be able to cut a new one, using the old glass as a template. That is odd that it cracked like that. Had some wood been pressed hard against the glass when the stove door was closed? Had the retainer clips been recently tightened?

There is also www.onedayglass.com that you could send a paper template to.
No wood was against the glass and I replaced the gasket at the beginning of this season. I did do something different this year when I replaced the glass. I took some of the gasket material and put some under the retainer clip. I though this might give a better seal when I tightened it down. I don't remember putting any excessive pressure on it when I tightened it though. I did purchase a new glass from Woodstove Fireplace Glass for $140. I'm guessing having one made would be cheaper.