Jotul F45 Greenville Experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
1.5 hours in, turned down to low.

B2CDBA4A-E7FC-4072-9D80-BD7B2FDB1ACD.jpeg D37BAC8A-3D93-4E76-AE91-93B701508BBD.jpeg CE819348-58E5-44B2-AD59-8544599C3B35.jpeg

It’s been a very mild Winter for us this year and I’m not complaining after the previous record snowfall Winter we had last year. I’ve only had to plow snow once so far and only burned two cords of wood!

Most days have been a 12 hour reload schedule, only a few times have I had to go with an 8 hour schedule. The last two days was one of those rare times. Seems I hit a wall once temps dip into the teens and below so this cabin needs more heat than a 12 hour schedule can provide.

I’ve been getting by fine Burning mostly Aspen all season but I have a small stash of super dry Oak I needed to burn up so the last couple days I’ve been digging into that. I can see why Jotul states firewood over two years seasoned can be too dry! This stuff can really take off fast and burns very hot! A full load has been giving me flue temps and stove top temps in the 600-700 range and I need to shut the stove down much sooner than my typical load of Aspen. Burn times are surprisingly shorter as well.

Overall the stove has been working great. I’ve kept the secondary air blocked by about 25% and that seems to be the sweet spot for the majority of burns. The extra thermal mass I added to the hearth seems to even out the heat some and deflect the radiant heat out into the great room more than before.

Looking forward to seeing some reviews once the new catalytic F45 comes out. I’ve heard they also have a thermostatic controlled secondary air, should be interesting.

Reactions: bigealta
Looking forward to seeing some reviews once the new catalytic F45 comes out. I’ve heard they also have a thermostatic controlled secondary air, should be interesting.
Wait, are you serious? Is such a stove coming out?

Wait, are you serious? Is such a stove coming out?
Yup!