Jotul F45 V2 Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbohaker

Aug 15, 2022
Maryland
Good morning, I am brand new to the wood stove scene so please be patient with me... I recently purchased a Jotul F45 V2 and plan on cleaning the stove pipe and stove annually. The stove pipe coming out of the roof is too tall for me to clean from the roof top side so I am wondering if there is a way to access this from inside the house? I will add pictures this evening when I arrive home. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:
F45v2??

I’m in the same situation and I disconnect my telescopic stove pipe inside, slide it up, attach a plastic garbage bag to the pipe with painters tape then brush up. I also vacuum the ash that’s on top of the F45 baffle.

Reactions: cbohaker and EbS-P
I’m in the same situation and I disconnect my telescopic stove pipe inside, slide it up, attach a plastic garbage bag to the pipe with painters tape then brush up. I also vacuum the ash that’s on top of the F45 baffle.
Okay, perfect idea! Is the top of the stove removable? Or do you just vacuum out where the stove pipe attaches?

Also, this is something random that I noticed on the side of the stove and wanted everyone’s opinion. It looks like there was a crack in the cast iron and it was welded/painted at one time(possibly at the factory?) Keep in mind this was supposed to be a brand new stove, will this be an issue in the future?

75178EEE-7DCE-4E83-AE6F-307D915647A9.jpeg

I don’t remove the top, plenty of room to vacuum through the flue collar.

I can’t tell if that’s an old crack, looks more cosmetic like excess casting or paint? Shouldn’t effect the burn in any way since it’s a cast shroud and not part of the fire box. Keep an eye on it and if it does crack Jotul should replace it.

I don’t remove the top, plenty of room to vacuum through the flue collar.

I can’t tell if that’s an old crack, looks more cosmetic like excess casting or paint? Shouldn’t effect the burn in any way since it’s a cast shroud and not part of the fire box. Keep an eye on it and if it does crack Jotul should replace it.
Todd, thank you for taking the time to help me today. Your knowledge has helped me greatly! I ordered a 6" round poly cleaning brush since the stove pipe is stainless. When you clean do you brush all the way up to the top vent?

Reactions: Todd
Yep up the way up to the cap then I twist or turn the rods to clean the cap good. Just don’t turn the rods the wrong way so the rods or brush doesn’t unscrew.

Reactions: cbohaker
Yep up the way up to the cap then I twist or turn the rods to clean the cap good. Just don’t turn the rods the wrong way so the rods or brush doesn’t unscrew.
Hah! Thanks for the heads up, I bet that brush would have unscrewed on me. Do you clean once a year or multiple times? Also, with the telescoping stove pipe do you notice it getting scratched overtime by moving it up and down?

I could probably get away with a sweep every other year but I do it once per year just for peace of mind. I did scratch my pipe a bit last year somehow but a little touch up heat paint covers it up.

Reactions: cbohaker