Jotul F45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Henry K

Aug 22, 2017
NYS
Recently we purchased Jotul F45. Brick in the back of the stove is not secured (like brick on the sides) and bounces back and forth or falls on the "floor" brick. Are we missing parts?
Dealer in not helpful, technical support from Jotul practically does not exist.
Looking at parts diagram and the stove I'm not able to locate #72 rear secondary buffle gasket (that may not be seen without removing buffle) and #67 exhaust deflector.
Any advise, please?
Picture of what you have?
Thank you,
and regards

DSCN3801.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The rear firebrick should be held in place by the brick in the bottom of the fire box. The parts list calls out #31 (16) at 9" long.
The only way those rear bricks can fit is if they are installed BEFORE the bottom ones.
The #67 air deflector should sit on the left & right supports #34 & #35.
Looks like the rear Baffle gasket #72 sits UNDER the baffle.

...and this what we got. Middle brick in the back will always fall if poked. Looks like poor design.
Thank you DAKSY

Reactions: DAKSY
...and this what we got. Middle brick in the back will always fall if poked. Looks like poor design.
Thank you DAKSY

Maybe not design so much as installation. As DAKSY said the rear brick should be installed before the floor brick so the floor brick holds the rear brick upright. In mine, the rear brick sits slightly lower as it is on the floor.
JotulFirebox02.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not a poor design really. When new, a lot of stoves will have bricks moving around, but when the stove has been burned some, ash will collect and fill in the holes of the brick slots. Alternatively, you can put a dab of furnace cement on the back of the brick and it'll stick to the inside of the stove. I wouldn't worry, it will get more sealed when used. Enjoy your new Jotul.

Reactions: jotulguy