Jotul F500 Alternative?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjmac1235

Nov 28, 2018
Upstate NY
I am looking to install a freestanding wood stove like the Jotul F500. Alcove installation. From what I have been reading the F500 is an awesome stove when using the side loading feature. Apparently you can not use this feature in a alcove install. From what I have been reading, the front loading of the F500 is not ideal and can be difficult and messy.

Anyone have any experience with the F500 not using the side loader? Reviews?

Anyone have any recommendations for a similar size and quality freestanding stove similar to the Jotul F500?

Thanks!

Just make sure the side door has enough clearance to the wall. It should swing open, all the way to the back of the stove. Use the standard clearance dimensions, and it all works. See my avatar picture. I have no issues loading from the side door.

The Jotul F50 and F55 are front loaders with the advantage of a square firebox for N/S loading.

The Vermont Castings Encore has a similar style with top loading.

The stove has questionable reliability though.

I have a f500 in a alcove placement. The issue with the front door and ash cooming out is true. However, is is quite tolerable if you have a decent size hearth pad for the ash to fall on. Just a couple of sweeps no big deal. I do not even use the side door.

As mentioned in the other thread, pay attention to clearance requirements.

These are neat stoves. I'm not sure if the side clearance will be enough for you though.

I have the Jotul 500 Oslo. I burn it all the time and never use the side door.
Yes it is a bit messy so some ashes spill out onto the hearth, not a big deal.
I have had 7 wood stoves over the years and we love the Oslo.