Jotul Firelight 12 Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tg27

Feb 16, 2020
USA
Hi all...

I started a thread last week about burning through wood too fast. While the consensus seemed to be an issue with wood, the group thought it’d be a good idea to start a thread about using the Firelight 12 to make sure I’m not going about it wrong and inadvertently eating through wood too quickly. I am a rookie after all.

So...here is my process...

• Start with an ash-free firebox and tray
  • Load the box with newspaper and throw about 3 pieces of fatwood on there
  • Load some backyards sticks and twigs on that
  • Warm the pipe with a heat gun
  • Open our back door to equalize pressure
  • Make sure the damper is open
  • Airflow all the way to the right
  • Light ‘er up!
  • Leave the door cracked while it catches
  • Throw some bigger pieces of backyard wood on; let it catch
  • Throw two small logs on; let them catch
  • Close door. Wait a few moments to ensure fire doesn’t go out
  • Put one log on a normal-size log
  • After it catches, put on another log
  • Wait until pipe temp reaches about 400 to 500
  • Close damper and back off airflow
  • At this point, my goal is to keep it burning around 300. Sometimes I can’t keep it steadily there, and have to add more wood and open the damper and airflow to get it really fired up.
  • Eventually, I get it burning nicely around 300 with the damper closed and the airflow all the way to the left
  • Throughout the day, I keep about 2 logs burning
  • At night or if I’m going out, I stack it up with wood. It lasts about 4 hours fully loaded
I think that about covers it. I’ve been wondering if keeping 2 logs on is making it burn faster. Would I be better off keeping it loaded at all times?

Eager for your feedback! And thank you!

I run mostly full loads during the winter. We're having shoulder season weather now so I run a full load in the morning followed by a smaller load in the evening and a few more logs before going to bed.

I run mostly full loads during the winter. We're having shoulder season weather now so I run a full load in the morning followed by a smaller load in the evening and a few more logs before going to bed.
But that full load doesn't get you from morning to evening...does it?!

But that full load doesn't get you from morning to evening...does it?!
Yes, no problem. This is also in a 3 cu ft stove, but not the Jotul. @Ashful can fill you in better on his reload cycle with the F12.

Hi all...

I started a thread last week about burning through wood too fast. While the consensus seemed to be an issue with wood, the group thought it’d be a good idea to start a thread about using the Firelight 12 to make sure I’m not going about it wrong and inadvertently eating through wood too quickly. I am a rookie after all.

So...here is my process...

• Start with an ash-free firebox and tray
  • Load the box with newspaper and throw about 3 pieces of fatwood on there
  • Load some backyards sticks and twigs on that
  • Warm the pipe with a heat gun
  • Open our back door to equalize pressure
  • Make sure the damper is open
  • Airflow all the way to the right
  • Light ‘er up!
  • Leave the door cracked while it catches
  • Throw some bigger pieces of backyard wood on; let it catch
  • Throw two small logs on; let them catch
  • Close door. Wait a few moments to ensure fire doesn’t go out
  • Put one log on a normal-size log
  • After it catches, put on another log
  • Wait until pipe temp reaches about 400 to 500
  • Close damper and back off airflow
  • At this point, my goal is to keep it burning around 300. Sometimes I can’t keep it steadily there, and have to add more wood and open the damper and airflow to get it really fired up.
  • Eventually, I get it burning nicely around 300 with the damper closed and the airflow all the way to the left
  • Throughout the day, I keep about 2 logs burning
  • At night or if I’m going out, I stack it up with wood. It lasts about 4 hours fully loaded
I think that about covers it. I’ve been wondering if keeping 2 logs on is making it burn faster. Would I be better off keeping it loaded at all times?

Eager for your feedback! And thank you!
First don't empty all of the ash leave some in the bottom. Load it full. You can start the way you are but once you have a coal bed load the stove full and let it burn untill it is down to coals again then repeat. Loading a little bit at a time will go through wood faster

Reactions: tg27
First don't empty all of the ash leave some in the bottom. Load it full. You can start the way you are but once you have a coal bed load the stove full and let it burn untill it is down to coals again then repeat. Loading a little bit at a time will go through wood faster
Good to know! I've been curious if I'm not doing myself any favors feeding one log at a time. I'll be sure to keep it loaded up. And I'll leave some ash in there. I'm definitely cleaning it pretty throughly. Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of leaving some ash?

Good to know! I've been curious if I'm not doing myself any favors feeding one log at a time. I'll be sure to keep it loaded up. And I'll leave some ash in there. I'm definitely cleaning it pretty throughly. Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of leaving some ash?
Better coal retention and extended burn time

Yes, no problem. This is also in a 3 cu ft stove, but not the Jotul. @Ashful can fill you in better on his reload cycle with the F12.
Oh, okay. Different stove. That makes me feel a little better. But that's still really impressive! Most I seem to be able to get is 4 hours.