Jotul Firelight Broken Air Intake Lever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SciGuy2015

Oct 26, 2013
Northern NY State
Hi folks, just joined forum. Stove's air intake lever broke off at the pivot point. I believe my darling wife dropped a chunk of wood on it and it bent. :( I was sick and she was being nice by stoking the stove for me. Anyway, unaware of this, I was perplexed by the lever being stuck and unmovable by hand. I put pliers on it, and stupidly snapped the dang thing right off. How do I replace it? I took the cover off where the slider is just inside the doors, but can see no way to access the lever. The slider moves easily, so that did not freeze-up, causing the issue. Can't believe this is a common problem. Thanks for any help!

I would say it is a very uncommon problem . . . first I have heard of anyone breaking the air control . . . even with folks who have a sticky sliding lever.

I do not have a Firelight (I own the Oslo) . . . I'm not really sure how you would access the lever to replace it . . . that's the bad news . . . the good news is that there are a few folks here who work in the industry who sell Jotuls . . . I suspect they will be around sometime in the next day or two and may offer some suggestions.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Well I actually have the same problem as you! I have tried to epoxy it back in with high heat stuff with no luck. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if it is metal and try to weld it back in with my 120 volt welder. I have not called to see if it can be replaced, but I have tried almost everything besides welding it back in. By the way mine was broke and laying there when I got it home and I didn't think it was a big deal until I tried to fix it! Good luck with fixing it, i will let you know how the welding goes.

By the way right now I have a screw in there right now and it does work fine, but not really appealing to the eyes.

Early firelights had a chronic problem with the draft control levers sticking, but breaking is rare. If you openthe ash pan door, you'll find a bolt that is the pivot for the d.c. lever with an allen head fitting. It's located just under the lever itself, and is threaded up and into it. Remove bolt, slide innew lever, replace bolt. simple.

Remember fittings on Jotuls are metric, 5mm allen wrench for that particular bolt I think.

The fix for sticky levers in the olr days was to change the angle of bend at the "business end" of the lever to be slightly shallower. Hopefully won't be necessary...

Early firelights had a chronic problem with the draft control levers sticking, but breaking is rare. If you openthe ash pan door, you'll find a bolt that is the pivot for the d.c. lever with an allen head fitting. It's located just under the lever itself, and is threaded up and into it. Remove bolt, slide innew lever, replace bolt. simple.

Remember fittings on Jotuls are metric, 5mm allen wrench for that particular bolt I think.

The fix for sticky levers in the olr days was to change the angle of bend at the "business end" of the lever to be slightly shallower. Hopefully won't be necessary...

Thanks man! Exactly what I needed to know......How to access that lever?!! Made my Sunday! That's what happened then -- A chunk of wood bent the lever and it really stuck in place. Mike

Didn't know it came off the easy? I didn't get to mess with it today, but I'm gonna have to look into it tomorrow. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.