Older Jotul firelight 12 air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrenzoni

Jan 4, 2019
Connecticut
Hi all. First time poster here. Looking for a little help with my Jotul Firelight 12. It’s an older model I believe, with no access to the air control lever. Some models I see have a small plate with 2 screws to access the control, not mine. When I move the lever to adjust air flow I feel no resistance at all. I believe the lever has disconnected from the linkage? I’m having quite a bit of trouble burning the stove this year and I believe this is the culprit. Has anyone here had to work on this? I’ve searched the forum and can’t find any answers to this particular issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

Attachments

• 6865E9E5-4083-4FC3-8A70-4C9062F3C01D.jpeg
    6865E9E5-4083-4FC3-8A70-4C9062F3C01D.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 174
  • 3095B43C-3249-4D1C-9FE0-5582EA2BBFE7.jpeg
    3095B43C-3249-4D1C-9FE0-5582EA2BBFE7.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 364
The early Firelight 12’s lacked an access panel to get at this mechanism, and they apparently realized this was a problem, as they added it sometime before 1996. I had three Jotul Firelights, and the earliest among them (1993 model) lacked an access panel. I purchased one, cut the required window and drilled/tapped the required holes, to install it in the older stove. All you need is an angle grinder, masking tape, screws, tap, gasket (3/16”) and some brass cahones. Pretty basic modification, and you’re going to need to do it to get at that mechanism, without complete stove disassembly and re-cementing the entire thing.

The early Firelight 12’s lacked an access panel to get at this mechanism, and they apparently realized this was a problem, as they added it sometime before 1996. I had three Jotul Firelights, and the earliest among them (1993 model) lacked an access panel. I purchased one, cut the required window and drilled/tapped the required holes, to install it in the older stove. All you need is an angle grinder, masking tape, screws, tap, gasket (3/16”) and some brass cahones. Pretty basic modification, and you’re going to need to do it to get at that mechanism, without complete stove disassembly and re-cementing the entire thing.
Thank you for this reply. I was afraid that I would have to take it completely apart to get at it. I will try for the modification instead. Where did you purchase the access plate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this reply. I was afraid that I would have to take it completely apart to get at it. I will try for the modification instead. Where did you purchase the access plate?

Let me poke around in the email on my home computer tonight, and see if I can figure that out. I wanted to say woodmanspartsplus.com, but I just checked their site and don’t see it listed. In fact, the parts diagram on their site is an old one, and doesn’t even show that as part of the stove.

Let me poke around in the email on my home computer tonight, and see if I can figure that out. I wanted to say woodmanspartsplus.com, but I just checked their site and don’t see it listed. In fact, the parts diagram on their site is an old one, and doesn’t even show that as part of the stove.

Yea I checked there too and didn't see it. Thank you!

Kids kept me busy last night, never got any computer time. Will try again tonight.

Reactions: Jrenzoni
Yes, I found my original order from it, and quite a long correspondence with the seller. It was purchased thru Chelsford Fireplace, an Amazon Marketplace seller. However, the link in my past orders leads to a "oops we can't find that page" on Amazon, and the old seller's ID (again, Chelmsford Fireplace) now leads to "Eastern Infants Wear, Inc." on Amazon. FWIW, the original order lists it as "1 of Inspection Cover [ASIN: B006QRIEYK]".

The seller had to order it from Jotul Norway, because Jotul USA wasn't stocking it. Delivery time was 8 weeks, but I did eventually get it. If you can't find it online, I'd call Jotul USA at 800-797-5912.

Yes, I found my original order from it, and quite a long correspondence with the seller. It was purchased thru Chelsford Fireplace, an Amazon Marketplace seller. However, the link in my past orders leads to a "oops we can't find that page" on Amazon, and the old seller's ID (again, Chelmsford Fireplace) now leads to "Eastern Infants Wear, Inc." on Amazon. FWIW, the original order lists it as "1 of Inspection Cover [ASIN: B006QRIEYK]".

The seller had to order it from Jotul Norway, because Jotul USA wasn't stocking it. Delivery time was 8 weeks, but I did eventually get it. If you can't find it online, I'd call Jotul USA at 800-797-5912.
Thank you so much for looking into this. I'll do some research using that information and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

You might also try Preston Trading Post in CT. They are a good Jotul resource.

Reactions: Ashful