Jotul firelight12 - smoke outlet gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firelight98

Jan 28, 2019
Cazenovia NY
Hi - new here...been burning wood for many years since the 70s....All nighters, Better n Bens , Consolidated Northwest ... until discovering the Jotul Firelight 12 in 1998 and have style with that ever since , greatstove , top load... have had to over time learn to work with it but keeps the house nice no warm and Syracuse area gets some very cold days!

I have started to dig deeper on undertanding the mechanics better and found this forum uler informative news helpful - knowledge of this stove no older cats in general seem to be fading from dealer memories so figured bet to get to know owners who care and know the idiosyncrasies ...e.g. Stuck air flow levers, cracked rear burn plates , ash door gasket fun..etc...

My newest adventure : just had a chimney sweep do a end of Jan cleaning ...but right after he left started small fire to ease into a new cat and smoke begin seeping out the smoke outlet...appears smoke outlet gasket was dangling on bottom of smoke outlet .....so spend last night on backup oil..which We never do!

So off to figure it out today: question ..this is a first for me...do I need to order a specific Jotul part 12 , 200028 ..1/8 SA smoke outlet gasket ? Will anything else suffice? Doe it get cemented into place? If so appreciate any tips as I fear I will be on my own.....thanks

Welcome and I'll bump this up since I'm sure someone can help you out.

I almost picked up a used Firelight for a recent install. Looked like a beast of a heater! Hope you get things sorted soon--it's cold out there... hope you get things figured out!

thanks followed your advice- solved gasket issue , which was flat as pancake thanks--- but issue is now the stove is still leaking - smoke coming out pipe and top of stove- feels like it is not going up chimney now after chimney sweep was over - fear something is stuck or ice or maybe pipe angle ( back vent) is causing the issue- went for a mid season clean and now regretting it as No stove and super cold awaiting sweep return this friday .... ughhh

Yes damper working...thanks for the reply...I was first thinking the smoke outlet gasket was causing the issues replaced with original Jotul gasket sa...all the problems started few days ago after chimney sweep came to sweep and clean stove..starting to think something is clogging the chimney as all was fine before he came ..he's coming back out today...

anyone have know if the old Jotul firelight 98 are cemented top and sides ? Can they be sealed from inside without taking everything apart? Hoping it is not that as one would think even if there is minor seam leak ... which appeared only when box was complete full of smoke from a newly started fire , that a good draft from my 35 foot high chimney would overcome any minor leaks .... that said was curious if proper maintence after all thee years is to seal from inside or will that just burn right off within first few fires? Smoke was not exiting at all when small fire started just leaking out back of stove, the smoke outlet , the flue pipes to chimney ...

Would really like to get to know a few Jotul firelight experts as there seem to be several on this site!!

Thanks

Yes and figured out issue was chimney blockage but when smoke backed up due to blockage and leaked a bit thru top seams made me think may be time to recement top to sides... just not sure if things can turn out worse that way?

I am pretty sure the top has a gasket so its removable for repairs of the inside. The smoke will also come out the air inlets so maybe it looked like the top. You may be able to re cement the sides from the inside with furnace cement you can get it in a caulk tube to get you through winter have you tried the stove since the blockage was removed?

Would really like to get to know a few Jotul firelight experts as there seem to be several on this site!!
@Ashful might have some useful info..