Jotul GF 600 DV Firelight install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePa

Oct 26, 2014
LaVale , Maryland
Just purchased from a friend a installed, but never fired Jotul GF 600 firelight gas heater. A 2004 year model.

Included ..Lin adpt , co Lin adpt, term kit, vertical top, and 100 ft 3" DV piping as well as flex connectors.

I am planning a basement install into the existing masonry flue which will require a off set.

My exact question is .... How far of a horizontal run can I make from stove top to flue thimble? I see a minimum distance but not indication of allowable max.
Thanks David

Last edited:
Is that 3" DV pipe?

image.jpg

I don't know of anybody that makes three inch direct vent pipe. The smallest I know of is like 4 inch inside and 6 5/8" outside diameter. Always willing to learn though. Is there a pipe within a pipe there?

This sounds like single wall B-Vent pipe.

Look at the install manual. The MAX horizontal run is 10 feet, if your vertical run is at LEAST 15 feet. The caveat is that you have to have a minumum of 2 feet of rise BEFORE you can run ANY horizontal. You cannot install with this kit unless you are running this venting thru a fireplace. The type of installation you want to do is NOT approved for the GF600.

Last edited:
I don't know of anybody that makes three inch direct vent pipe. The smallest I know of is like 4 inch inside and 6 5/8" outside diameter. Always willing to learn though. Is there a pipe within a pipe there?

This sounds like single wall B-Vent pipe.

No, BB, it's not B-Vent. It's a co-axial to co-linear conversion kit. Double 3" off the (4"ID x 6-5/8"OD) adapter. Used for Hearthmount DV units. There IS another kit for the type of installation the OP needs to use if he's going directly thru a thimble. That one DOES use a 4" aluminum flex liner. Unfortunately, the GF600 is NOT approved for that type of installation.

Good to to know. I knew you would be along to educate me. ==c

Reactions: DAKSY
No, BB, it's not B-Vent. It's a co-axial to co-linear conversion kit. Double 3" off the (4"ID x 6-5/8"OD) adapter. Used for Hearthmount DV units. There IS another kit for the type of installation the OP needs to use if he's going directly thru a thimble. That one DOES use a 4" aluminum flex liner. Unfortunately, the GF600 is NOT approved for that type of installation.

image.jpg
The fitting, shown on the bench, in the right, is what was installed in flue thimble. Mates with the double wall from stove and on the other side has the 2 connectors which attach to the 3" pipe up to the cap.

Are you saying that is a incorrect install?

Yes I am. The adapter on the Left is attached DIRECTLY onto the stove flue collar, or onto a short piece of venting. The liners go from there to the cap. It is specified for use thru an open fireplace. Look at your manual and the allowable venting configurations. I'm not saying what you want to do won't work. I'm saying that it is not approved. If you install this way & the unit runs correctly & you have no issues, great, but if you install this way & something happens, the onus is on you, & your insurance company will not have to cover any damage (or, worst case scenario, loss of life). If you are getiing this installation inspected, it will not pass.

Yes I am. The adapter on the Left is attached DIRECTLY onto the stove flue collar, or onto a short piece of venting. The liners go from there to the cap. It is specified for use thru an open fireplace. Look at your manual and the allowable venting configurations. I'm not saying what you want to do won't work. I'm saying that it is not approved. If you install this way & the unit runs correctly & you have no issues, great, but if you install this way & something happens, the onus is on you, & your insurance company will not have to cover any damage (or, worst case scenario, loss of life). If you are getiing this installation inspected, it will not pass.[/quot

are there PM links on this site?

image.jpg
This was the install used, although the intake liner also attached to the top cap. And as presented before used the adapter at the thimble and not in fireplace opening.

It's not designed to be used that way. That adapter is for the fireplace opening. There is a different adapter for the thimble opening, but the GF600 has not been tested with that other adapter, so it's not approved. Like I said, it may work fine, but the liability for an installation that is unapproved by the manufacturer is ALL YOURS.

Status
Not open for further replies.