Jotul goes BOOM!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

56kenk

Feb 10, 2019
Hello ... Ken the Newbie One here.
8^)
I've been lurking around the forums trying to find an answer to a problem I'm having with a Jotul GF 500 DV IPI Direct Vent Gas Stove.
We recently moved into a new home that has a Jotul Fireplace insert as well as the Jotul Gas stove (running on propane).

The Jotul Gas stove is installed at the far end of my house in an addition that was added by the previous owner. It was just what this part of the house needed to keep it comfortable. After several uneventful weeks of use, one night my wife and I were enjoying a peaceful evening together in our new house when the Jotul let out a hellacious BOOM! After the initial panic subsided I turned off the gas and the next day I started researching what could have happened. This is our first gas product as my wife is paranoid of just this sort of thing happening! so yeah ofcourse its going to happen to us!
8^)

After scouring the internet for information I came across hearth.com and this forum. I've found a lot of useful information from very informative individuals on this site but have come up empty when trying to find others that may have had this same problem.

I gathered up some courage and told myself that it was just a freak thing and will probably never ever happen again....well I was wrong. It happens everytime I go to use it...but I've sort of gotten use to the explosions now and don't pee myself quite as often.

My Jotul has an SIT 866 Modulating Valve. While searching hearth.com I came across links to the SIT 820 Nova modulator trouble shooting guide and the SIT Proflame 2 troubleshooting guide. I went as far as I could through these troubleshooting flow charts but could not find a 'branch' for Did the Jotul explode?
8^)

Here is the play by play of the problem..
I get a pilot light
ignighter stops
Pilot still on
Then the wait starts...after about 30-60secs....wait for it....BOOM!
After the explosion, what appears to be normal looking flames are seen for about 15 seconds, but then die out.
I tested the voltage at both solenoids and also the continuity tests and got expected values as detailed in the troubleshooting documents. I did not find a connector for the stepper motor which controls the primary burner however so that is as far as I went.

Its getting late in the evening so I'm stopping work on it for now. (I'm sure my wife doesn't want to hear any explosions in her sleep...it's bad enough she hears them from my pants all day!...hehehe yeah I went there hahahaha)
Now I'm formulating a game plan for tomorrow. I plan on checking the pilot hood to make sure the pilot flame is reaching the carry over ports...but I'm not convinced that is the problem because the damn thing lights up for sure...it just doesn't stay lit after the explosion.

I am hoping I included enough information to narrow down possible causes that may come to mind for an experienced gas burning 'hearther' and that you'll share your knowledge with me.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I appreciate the time you've taken to read it and I will add you to my Xmas list if you can help me**

**don't get to excited- I only spend $5 ... on everyone.
8^)

Best regards,
Ken

Check the whole burner including the air shutter for blockages not just the carry over ports. Iirc there was a recall on the burner on some of the 500s.

Reactions: 56kenk
So I finally got around to working on the stove again.
It was a little dusty but there wasn't any 'ah ha' moment like finding a spider web or pet hair.
So I went through the motions...
I cleaned the thermopile with some emory clothe, shop vac'd the innerds, crossed my fingers and I'll be damned, the Jotul don't go BOOM anymore!
8^)
Maybe cleaning the thermopile did it? The BOOM would happen when trying to start the burner...obviously the BOOM was generated when a concentration of propane ignited. I'm thinking that maybe the orfices were not lined up properly with the burner assembly and the propane would instead pool on the bottom of the stove until enough gas accumulated and ended up getting lit by the pilot.....BOOM! So maybe it was a matter of reseating the burner assembly to line up properly with the orfices?

Regardless, thank you MillBilly for suggesting a long overdue cleaning that eventually resolved my problem!

Best regards,
Ken