Jotul Kennebec insert doors are black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabear

Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
I am trying to problem streamline the process for using our new Jotul insert. I am used to using a stand alone stove and am not sure why we have ended up with blackened glass doors after just a few days of use. Our wood is well seasoned (over one year) and so I am thinking that this is an issue of not burning the fire hot enough? How do I know if the fire is hot enough... is there a way to burn a smaller fire without the concern of blackening the doors and finally, how do I get the doors cleaner??

I just had a Kennebec installed last week and did my break-in fires this weekend and don't have any build up...and I don't think I was burning too big or too hot. I was amazed at the air flow inside the box. It was no problem getting the fire going.

With relatively warm temps right now and the elevation (5,300 ft.) in Albuquerque insufficient chimney draft is probably the problem right now.

I've been using mine for about two weeks now. Small splits, air open, and I wipe the glass evey 2 days. I find that if I keep it clean, I get less buildup (I know, that sounds odd, but you know what I mean).

I'm burning what are essentially flash kindling fires - gives me lots of practice with my top down fire starting technique.

I realized that we probably are dealing with several factors, including burning on a warm day, not getting the fire hot enough before adding a big oak log and then leaving it to smolder a bit. It is roaring quite well now and I will clean any buildup once it is cool. Should not happen again. Thanks for all of the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.