Jotul Knockoff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MelPel

May 27, 2020
United States
We just got a wood stove and can't find any information online about it. It looks identical to the Jotul 118. On the front door it says Majestic and the tag on the back says Majestic model M5.2. When I try to search it the only thing that shows up are antique wood cook stoves. Does anyone have any information or own a Majestic?

There were a lot of knockoffs during the late 70s early 80s. Some said Scandia on them, some had mystery labels like the All Nighter Slim-Glo. Is there a UL tag with Majestic's info on it? Are there any castings indicating made in Taiwan? Can you post some shots of it?

The tag is tough to read. What we can see, it says Manufactured by American Seating Co. Grand Rapids MI and we think the model # is M5.2. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_063710.jpg
    IMG_20200528_063710.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200525_173230.jpg
    20200525_173230.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200525_125902.jpg
    20200525_125902.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 172
Interesting, that's a mystery. I haven't seen this combo before. Just a guess, but Franklin Cast Products had a lot of knockoffs made under various names, Scandia being the best known. I am wondering if Majestic contracted with them. Eventually, Jotul and VC sued FCP and put a stop to their copying.

The American Seating Company name is weird. They make stadium, theater and bus seating. I don't undertand the relationship with Am. Seating at all. Given a guestimate of when the stove was made, Majestic would have been an American Standard product by then.

Last edited:
The Taiwanese knockoffs were not well known for their casting quality, but again, this one is a mystery.

Hahaha! I really hope it's not a Taiwanese piece of junk! We'll see when we fire it up how long it lasts. I was hoping my father in law had a book that came with it but he said there was no book. The search continues.

Hahaha! I really hope it's not a Taiwanese piece of junk! We'll see when we fire it up how long it lasts. I was hoping my father in law had a book that came with it but he said there was no book. The search continues.
Hard to say as this stove is an unknown. Majestic/CFM handled the Dutchwest line for a while too. They may have set better casting standards. That American Seating Company part is the real head-scratcher. Maybe you can chase this down via UL testing info? Unless the label is a knockoff too.

Do you have all the parts? These would include the baffle, the 2 side burn plates, and the bottom burn plate. Are they all in good condition?

Last edited:
Yes. We have all the parts and they are in good condition. The heat shields on the sides are UL listed products and have 3 holes instead of 2. I just researched American Seating Company and it looks like they did some steel work and were involved with Steelcase Inc. They made some various things at different times but it never mentions wood stoves. I think I'll email them and see if they respond. I'm just curious about it.

Reactions: Alpine1