Jotul No 5 - Australia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I have just bought a Jotul No 5 - it wasn't available in the USA. I think its from late 70's early 80's. It has been discussed here before but i need a bit of help restoring it. Here's the old thread.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/identify-old-jotul.7914/

When i picked the heater up it was in a bit of a mess - luckily it mainly looks cosmetic. I got it cheap as the guy selling it said it was missing the top baffle plate and it was a bit rusty. When i started to clean the heater i found - under years worth of ash the baffle plate it was on the floor of the fire box. It is in three pieces - which looks like it was meant to be that way. I re-fitted the baffle plate - its not the best fit as the Left hand side plate looks a little warped and doesn't sit level.

I have cleaned it up and painted it and gave it a quick fire for a couple of hours outside to cure the paint. The top plate of the heater can be removed which made moving the heater a lot easier. But when i lit the fire a lot of smoke came out from the join between the sides of the heater and top plate. There is no 'seal' between the 2 surfaces and i am not sure if there ever was. I was thinking of getting the heater into place and then sealing the join with high temp sealant. is this the correct way to go? should there be some rope gasket between the 2? i can't tell if there is supposed to be. I have contacted Jotul for info on the stove but i haven't heard anything back as yet. Here's a few pictures. I will take more as the reno nears completion.

I bought it to see if i could salvage it. I was very impressed with the solidness and workmanship in the heater - these things were made to last. I would assume this heater has had some abuse over the years especially with the baffle plate not in use for a good few seasons.... maybe this is why the top plate doesn't make a seal with the heater sides?

April 2015 055.JPG April 2015 056.JPG April 2015 057.JPG April 2015 060.JPG April 2015 061.JPG WP_20150406_001.jpg WP_20150406_003.jpg WP_20150406_005.jpg

a few more pics...... I have cleaned and painted the stove and had the paint curing fire.

IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2177.JPG

Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
Look like you have done a nice job of cleaning up that stove. I don't know the answer to your question about the seal/gasket use for this stove, I can say for other stoves I've work on, I'll use high temperature sealant typically. If there is room for a gasket, you could try that, but I would guess that joint does not have enough room for a gasket. As far as the baffle, that's a pretty high temperature location, not sure what sealant would stand up well there...

dj

Just got a schematic from Jotul

upload_2015-4-13_8-42-8.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you got the schematic, so you know now. Jotul seals their lids to the body with a 1/4" braided rope gasket. Flip lid upside down, glue gasket into groove (minimal cement or hi-temp silicone), let it cure, then flip the lid onto the stove. Works very well.

Thats what i was thinking - it looks like #41 on the schematic Pakning 1/4" x 1845. It looks like the door has the same gasket so it might pay to do both.

Thats what i was thinking - it looks like #41 on the schematic Pakning 1/4" x 1845. It looks like the door has the same gasket so it might pay to do both.
Yep, Jotul loves their 1/4" (likely 6mm in Norway) braided gaskets. My stove used that size for lid, inner fire back, damper frame, top-load door, front doors, ash pan, and flue collar connector. I usually keep a spare 10 feet of it on hand at all times, in case I need to redo a door in a pinch.

My door glass and air control inspection lid were both 3/16" braided.

You've done well by that stove. It looks great. It has a shallow firebox I see it is another bear stove. What is this one, the brown bear?

My stove used that size for lid
Do you fix the gasket to the top of the stove or onto the lid itself? i'm not too sure from the schematic.

It looks great.
It actually looks better in 'real life' - not sure if i will keep it - i was going to sell it to put towards a new stove..... but it's a beauty :)

Do you fix the gasket to the top of the stove or onto the lid itself? i'm not too sure from the schematic.
You must have missed my prior post. You apply the gasket to the lid.
Flip lid upside down, glue gasket into groove (minimal cement or hi-temp silicone), let it cure, then flip the lid onto the stove.

You must have missed my prior post. You apply the gasket to the lid.
I thought you were talking about your stove - but i had a look at the 'lid' and there is a groove on the outside which looks perfect and will easily take the 1/4" rope - i did get another reply from Jotul also confirming...

Yes it is a gasket rope size of 6.35mm soft rope for the top.

I suspect that method is common to most Jotul stoves of this style (eg. 3, 8, 12, 400, 500, 600).

Last edited by a moderator:
Always lots of interest in used Jotuls, around here. They sell fast.

Same here in Australia - what would one like that sell for in the USA?

No idea, cuz I've never seen a No.5 here! The 12's often go for $800 - $1200 in the fall season, tho. Just sold all three of mine, and even at this time of year when no one normal is buying stoves, they went fast.

cool - its just gone to $910 with one day to go :)

Nice!

Well it finally sold for $1010. ::-)

But then i got an e-mail from somebody interstate, saying they were having problems bidding and asking if i would send it to them - they would pay shipping and $1300....;em

I had to tell them the heater was sold to the highest bidder, but if it falls through i would let them know.

Well pleased with over $1000 that's going towards either a T6 or Regency 5100....... decisions decisions.........

Status
Not open for further replies.