Jotul Oslo 500 - soon to be obsolete?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jhoge

Jan 1, 2018
Setauket, NY
i looked at a Jotul 500 yesterday and really like the big glass up front. One thing holding me back is the fact that it will soon be illegal to sell because it has no catalyst. I’ve got an old Upland 207 I need to replace, but i’m wondering if it makes sense to replace with a new stove that will itself be obsolete.

I’d love to get s VC Defiant but the rear flue exit is just 1” too high, so the Jotul is the biggest stove I can get now and still fit the existing masonry chimney.

So, is it a good bet that Jotul will come out with a 500 sized stove with a catalyst next year?

Woodstock Progress - short leg kit. Just a suggestion.

It would not stop me from buying the stove.

From the Jotul dealer I visited yesterday.

He listens to too much talk radio. Don't go back. :p

The kernel of truth in there could be that this stove doesn't meet 2020 regulations, so Jotul will be required to update the stove and recertify it before then. There is a lot of that going around these days.

Either way, The Stove Police aren't going to boot down your door to search for contraband Jotuls next year. One, because the 2020 regulations are against manufacturing stoves that don't meet the requirements, not against owning them. Two, because The Stove Police, contrary to popular opinion, are a completely imaginary organization, which makes it much harder for them to boot down doors.

will be required to update the stove and recertify it before then. There is a lot of that going around these days.
Some are there, there's talk about some, any new news regarding manufacturers, or are we still in a holding pattern.

it will soon be illegal to sell because it has no catalyst.

Wha? Seems like someone didn't know what they're talking about. If that was indeed the case, you'd see manufacturers dumping their current stock to make way for the new models. Have you seen that?

Some are there, there's talk about some, any new news regarding manufacturers, or are we still in a holding pattern.

Like you said, some models are already compliant, some aren't.

I think what you will see is a lot of tube stoves with even less of a low range.

You will also hopefully see some technological innovation from tube stove manufacturers who don't want to be pushed (by market forces) out of the shoulder season burner market. The more low range their stoves lose, the less competitive they are able to be for that customer.

When the big bad EPA originally forced manufacturers to go with tubes/baffles/cats, it was a huge, huge win for wood burners. Could happen again! Lots of clever engineers out there.

On the EPA website, and in their test section of their own website, Pacific Energy is showing 2020 qualified versions of their super 27 and Summit series. ("LE", which I suppose stands for low emissions) Both are non-cat. Looking at the EPA test data, they seem to burn hotter. I know nothing more.

The kernel of truth in there could be that this stove doesn't meet 2020 regulations, so Jotul will be required to update the stove and recertify it before then. There is a lot of that going around these days.

Can someone please elaborate on this? What exactly are the new regulations? How is the Oslo said to change?

So far Jotul hasn’t released any info about what or if they are doing anything to make their current stoves 2020 compliant. Most other manufacturers have been very busy at this, Hearthstone had some new hybrid 2020 compliant stoves burning at the trade show. Most manufacturers have something approved, nothing from Jotul that I’m aware of is.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a stove right now if I needed one. Do you really want to be one of the first to try out a brand new design? I sprung for a Lopi cape cod when they were released. It tuned out to be a turd...

If you like it and it works for you . . . buy it.

As mentioned I suspect Jotul has something in the works as I could not imagine this large stove company would simply throw their hands in the air and opt to not engineer a way to meet the new requirements.

In the meantime . . . this stove is legal to buy and use . . . no one will be knocking on your door a year from now to tell you that the stove can no longer be used.

If you like it and it works for you . . . buy it.

As mentioned I suspect Jotul has something in the works as I could not imagine this large stove company would simply throw their hands in the air and opt to not engineer a way to meet the new requirements.

In the meantime . . . this stove is legal to buy and use . . . no one will be knocking on your door a year from now to tell you that the stove can no longer be used.
I’m sure they are! I hope it’s something other than throwing a cat in the flames like the others seem to be doing.

I’m sure they are! I hope it’s something other than throwing a cat in the flames like the others seem to be doing.
We are very excited to introduce some new technologies at the HBPA trade show this year in Dallas. Stop by and see us for an up close and personal tour!

We are very excited to introduce some new technologies at the HBPA trade show this year in Dallas. Stop by and see us for an up close and personal tour!
I’m there most every year and always hopeful for something new from Jotul. Unfortunately I won’t make it to Dallas to see it.

Like who?
Hearthstone is who I was referencing. Lopi doesn’t seem too far from that. Although the last hybrid had another revision, the cat sits much farther back on the baffle than its predecessors.

Hearthstone is who I was referencing. Lopi doesn’t seem too far from that. Although the last hybrid had another revision, the cat sits much farther back on the baffle than its predecessors.
I haven't seen hearthstones yet but I didn't think lopis looked to bad at all.

I haven't seen hearthstones yet but I didn't think lopis looked to bad at all.
Moving the cat back should help. It set right above the front tube, flames just rip through it like crazy, and it gets clogged easily. The hearthstone I saw was the same. I’m sure they will make a few revisions as time goes on.

The Stove Police, contrary to popular opinion, are a completely imaginary organization, which makes it much harder for them to boot down doors.

Brother- out here in California there is an organization named the Sacramento County Air Quality Management District that has such restrictive regulations that severely restrict burning. Rejoiced when I found out that our county only requires EPA-certified stoves. I don’t think you can have one unless you can prove it is your sole source of heat, or using it in the administration of daily burnt offerings in a religious celebration.
I thought of sneaking in one in our old house, but figured that neighbors, armed with binoculars and camera phones would drop a dime in about 1 day...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Brother- out here in California there is an organization named the Sacramento County Air Quality Management District that has such restrictive regulations that severely restrict burning. Rejoiced when I found out that our county only requires EPA-certified stoves. I don’t think you can have one unless you can prove it is your sole source of heat, or using it in the administration of daily burnt offerings in a religious celebration.
I thought of sneaking in one in our old house, but figured that neighbors, armed with binoculars and camera phones would drop a dime in about 1 day...

Geesh. They'd need to be a heavily armed organization to get much traction where I'm from.

Pretty sure I could find religion for a day if needed, though. ("Yes, my religion gives thanks to the spirit of the cold by burning the oak and the pine. The more we burn, the more thankful we are....")