Jotul Oslo 500 v2 or v3?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ontariomaple

Oct 17, 2020
Manitoulin, Ontario
I know there are many questions about the v3 that will only be answered with many years of burning, but, after speaking with my stove dealer today I still have the option of purchasing the v2. Part of me wants to stick with tried and true, part of me wants to try something new. Any advice on which I should purchase? The manual states a longer burn time for the v3 which I would like but the little I have read on the forum maybe doesn’t support this.

I know there are many questions about the v3 that will only be answered with many years of burning, but, after speaking with my stove dealer today I still have the option of purchasing the v2. Part of me wants to stick with tried and true, part of me wants to try something new. Any advice on which I should purchase? The manual states a longer burn time for the v3 which I would like but the little I have read on the forum maybe doesn’t support this.
If the v3 works correctly long term and holds up well I would choose it. The problem is we just don't know yet. Personally at this point if I had to buy one I would choose the V2 because I have serious concerns about the long term durability of the new design

Reactions: Sailrmike
If I had the option, I would have saved the $500 and bought a v2!

In theory would the v3 burn nearly the same as the v2 if you took the catalytic converter out? I know the baffle is different on the v3 but shouldn’t the secondary combustion be pretty similar to the v2?

I have the v2 and its great. The v2 if cheaper is the safe choice. However Jotul makes great products and probably it is as advertised. I think at this point you can go left or go right and both are the correct decesion.

I'm on my 4th fire with the v3 and I have to say that the cat goes active VERY quickly, and makes a ton of heat. I like the idea of burning more CO with the cat too.

I'm on my 4th fire with the v3 and I have to say that the cat goes active VERY quickly, and makes a ton of heat. I like the idea of burning more CO with the cat too.
New cats are quite active. It will settle down with regular burning.

what are your burn times like?
Well I haven't loaded the stove full yet, but last night I started a 4 small split burn at 9:30 , reloaded at 11:00 with 3 medium and one large split, ran on low setting overnight, and my entire 2,400ft^2 home was toasty this a.m. (it was 40°F outside). Stovetop was about 100°F at 7:30 a.m., minimal coals, blower still running. And that was with 16" fuel, it really needs 20-24" splits for max burn time. Really loving this stove, very easy to get a fire going, the "no bypass" thing has not been an issue for me whatsoever. Will be interesting to see how it performs on a warm, wet, inversion type night.

Safe choice is V2 . . . but then again many of us are hoping folks buy a V3 and report back here their findings throughout the burning season.