Jotul Oslo f500 V2 and rear heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
Here is a picture of my set up.

I was wondering if adding a rear hear shield would be of any benefit directing heat forward? Would there be any downside?
I've been running this set up for about 4 years and satisfied with the heat output. The stone and block work does suck up a lot of heat if I run continuous which is a good thing If I did burn 24/7, but I don't.
I mostly load up once when I get home from work then at most one reload if someone is staying up late or its really cold. I really just use the stove as supplement heat.
The stove sits mostly outside the fireplace. The whole chimney is interior and I'm guessing my liner is about 28 ft total from the top of stove. I do have a block off plate.

Thanks for looking.

PXL_20221118_212721523.jpg

Reactions: Jedi
I have the shield on my V2. The heat stands off the back of the stove about 3 inches. In my case I think it gets natural air flowing from under the stove, up the back and out the top.

I guess the masonry could suck up a lot of heat. The heat shield may help with heat off the back of the stove just heating the back of the fireplace. I don't like the noise of a fan, but that may help getting the heat off the stove and fireplace and out into the room.

I don't think the rear shield would make as much of a difference as a blower. Is there a block-off plate up in the fireplace damper area?

Yup, there is a block off plate, I put that in my post.
Why was this post removed?
I would think the answer would apply to almost any stove in this situation.

I really don't want a blower, I had one on my last stove and don't miss the noise.

The noise varies with the stove company and design. Some are much quieter than others. Jotul's are not bad, particularly at low speed. An alternative would be a table fan pointed at an angle toward the rear of the fireplace cavity. At low speed, these fans are almost silent.

The noise varies with the stove company and design. Some are much quieter than others. Jotul's are not bad, particularly at low speed. An alternative would be a table fan pointed at an angle toward the rear of the fireplace cavity. At low speed, these fans are almost silent.
Well, thanks for the reply.
My old home I used small floor fans along with the stove mounted fan on a Napoleon 1100c .
This home is a little tougher because of 19'+ ceilings and a loft. I was really just curious as to whether a rear heat shield would help with the forward radiant heat.
I do run 2 ceiling fans almost constantly 24/7 365 days a year.
I probably should have worded my question differently.

Edit, It would be difficult for me to wire an outlet for a stove mounted fan inside the cavity.

The high ceiling means that the stove is heating twice the cubic footage as compared to a standard 8' ceiling. How are the ceiling fans running, reversed or down blowing, or one of each?