Jotul Oslo F500 V3 Defective?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rav-Fire

Nov 28, 2023
Rhode Island
Recently purchased a new Jotul Oslo F500 V3 after I couldn't figure out my V1 and just kept like I was always burning through logs no matter what. So I pulled the trigger and got a new stove hoping for a better year.

Yet I don't seem to be getting much better burn times. Was told the Jotul Oslo F500 V3 should get roughly 7-8 hours burn time realistically vs the advertised 10 hours.

After running the stove I seem to really get 2 - 3. I have a google drive link (each labeled accordingly) of me recently stuffing my already started stove and what it looks like after intervals. I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or just have a defective stove. it really pumps out heat but seems to just burn out quickly. The most recent fully stuff burn was 3 hours until hit a thick bed of coals. I can throw a log on to ignite but roughly another hour until the coals more then likely stop.

Wood: last years wood that has been sitting in the woodstove room.

Setup - Bottom floor of a raise ranch. Pipe goes up about 3 feet roughly, does a 90 bend into a shorter 11"inch pipe into the chimney. The chimney does have a liner.

Google Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T6BUGya2o31Xi46ytv_3P4zSb94sjgHk?usp=sharing Each video name is the duration and the settings it was at, then the setting I changed to after the video. The video of me stuffing the stove was too big for the forum 2hr- after coal move.jpg

Attachments

• 3.45hr opened 1_4thburn coals down.mp4
    11.2 MB
  • 2hrs - before moving coals.mp4
    10.5 MB
  • 3hr full closed - thick coals(1).mp4
    15.2 MB
  • 1hr after stuff 45 closed damper.mp4
    13.7 MB
  • 10min after quarter - into close.mp4
    10.7 MB
  • 10 min after stuff - half damper into quarter.mp4
    16.3 MB
Last edited:
Looks like it's burning well, what species of wood is this?

One thing to try. The ashpan seal is tricky on these stoves. Let the ashpan fill up with ashes and get a bed of ashes over the grate. Our F400 burned better and longer that way so I just scooped out the ashes after finding this out.

Reactions: jotulguy
Looks like it's burning well, what species of wood is this?

One thing to try. The ashpan seal is tricky on these stoves. Let the ashpan fill up with ashes and get a bed of ashes over the grate. Our F400 burned better and longer that way so I just scooped out the ashes after finding this out.
let me try I just empty the ash pan today and the lighter test seems fine around the ash pan but questionable around the top back corners.

Wood not sure, we have someone in the family who runs a tree service so its whatever they chopped and let sit for the year to dry out. See I didn't think it is burning well since about 3 hours in we are down to just coals which seems very underwhelming for the "realistic burn times" I was not even able to get an overnight it was cold the next morning.

Last edited:
@webby3650 just installed this stove this summer. He may have some tips. How long is the burn on cold start vs a hot reload?

@webby3650 just installed this stove this summer. He may have some tips. How long is the burn on cold start vs a hot reload?
Cold was maybe a couple of hours but I dont fully stuff it, enough to get coals. this hot reload is 3 hours with a thick bed of coals. Didnt want to stuff it fully again just to burn through wood that quickly.

I just opened the dampener some to try to get the coals down a little bit flue temp dropped just below 300. Just uploaded another video on how it is right now. If this is how it is meant to be am I reloading or doing something incorrectly? Feels like the same times I got on my V1

Last edited:
How tall is the chimney?
That I am not sure, it goes past the 2 floors (bottom) and primary floor and goes past that so it might be roughly 25 ft just based off of purely averages we bought the house with the stove and chimney already apart of it. This is my first wood stove. I uploaded how it looks my 4 hour mark, a square i have behind the stove that I have no idea what it is and a quick photo of my chimney outside.

4hr less bright coals 1_4 open.jpg Chimney photo.jpg Square attached to chimney.jpg

Last edited:
Ok that’s a pretty tall chimney, you may want to install a pipe damper to slow down your draft. That metal square door is a ash clean out door for the old chimney.

Ok that’s a pretty tall chimney, you may want to install a pipe damper to slow down your draft. That metal square door is a ash clean out door for the old chimney.
Yep pipe damper is installed on the flue and closed like 3/4th of the way right now maybe I installed it too low? I did about 7 inches from the bottom of the pipe.

Reactions: Todd
You said your wood had been stored in the stove room for a whole year? If that’s the case it’s really really dry and could probably contributing to the short burn times.

You said your wood had been stored in the stove room for a whole year? If that’s the case it’s really really dry and could probably contributing to the short burn times.
Hmm maybe wouldnt think so as much since added it after the season so it was stocked, here is where we are at 20 minutes roughly after filling again.

Filled - Damper Half way, Pipe Damper all the way open
5 minutes - Damper to 1/4 Open, Pipe Damper All the way open
5 minutes again - Damper closed, Pipe damper all the way Open
5 minutes later - Damper Closed , Pipe 1/2
5 minutes after - Damper Closed, Pipe 3/4

20 minutes later after last step is attached image, the secondary burn seems very strong but wood might just be dry so goes through it quicker.

Stuff 2 - stove closed pipe 3_4.jpg

Cold was maybe a couple of hours but I dont fully stuff it, enough to get coals. this hot reload is 3 hours with a thick bed of coals. Didnt want to stuff it fully again just to burn through wood that quickly.

I just opened the dampener some to try to get the coals down a little bit flue temp dropped just below 300. Just uploaded another video on how it is right now. If this is how it is meant to be am I reloading or doing something incorrectly? Feels like the same times I got on my V1
What led you to believe it would have better burn time than your V1?

Yep pipe damper is installed on the flue and closed like 3/4th of the way right now maybe I installed it too low? I did about 7 inches from the bottom of the pipe.
That sounds ok to me. Have you tried letting the ash fill up the ash pan or blocking those unrestricted air holes in the ash pan housing?

That sounds ok to me. Have you tried letting the ash fill up the ash pan or blocking those unrestricted air holes in the ash pan housing?
That is the goal next, since it was just suggested. What is the unrestricted air holes in the ash pan housing not sure what you mean by this. I know there is the weird square in the back of the stove in the top left that has something as well. I figured the air holes in the ash pan is what air comes in when the damper is fully closed.

Update from last night, stuffed the stove at midnight, let it get to 400, close to half, then when around 450 - 500 I closed all the way. went to bed I got up at 4am to check and i had to open the damper a little bit to let the coals finish burning down but there was "full" logs left. I got up at 7am and was a very very small amount of coals just barely enough to throw kindling on. This is still feeling incorrect to me I should have more coals, and shouldn't have to get up at 4am after a full stove to adjust otherwise it wold have just died

That is the goal next, since it was just suggested. What is the unrestricted air holes in the ash pan housing not sure what you mean by this. I know there is the weird square in the back of the stove in the top left that has something as well. I figured the air holes in the ash pan is what air comes in when the damper is fully closed.

Update from last night, stuffed the stove at midnight, let it get to 400, close to half, then when around 450 - 500 I closed all the way. went to bed I got up at 4am to check and i had to open the damper a little bit to let the coals finish burning down but there was "full" logs left. I got up at 7am and was a very very small amount of coals just barely enough to throw kindling on. This is still feeling incorrect to me I should have more coals, and shouldn't have to get up at 4am after a full stove to adjust otherwise it wold have just died
Why would you open up the air to burn down the coals faster if you want a longer burn time? Can we see a load of wood you are considering stuffed before it's burning?

Why would you open up the air to burn down the coals faster if you want a longer burn time? Can we see a load of wood you are considering stuffed before it's burning?
There is a quick video in the google drive link or at the top of the thread, was all I can fit, and because leaving the gate closed (last time) the coals just never had enough air at that point. I would open to get a slight burn again and to get down the thick bed. I might be doing it wrong but saw it recommended other places on the forum. Since I am getting such a thick bed of coals when the logs are gone.

Block the unrestricted air holes on each side of the Ash House Assembly with magnets. This stove is designed to run full blast from the factory to get the efficiency numbers up. Even if you turn the draft all the way down it still sucks air in from those holes for combustion so you can only get it to run so low without blocking those holes. Alternately, you can let the Ash House fill up with ashes thereby producing the same result as blocking those holes with magnets. My stove runs beautifully after blocking those holes.

Read this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-jotul-f500-v3-owner.190449/

It’s possible that your definition of burn time and Jotul’s is different.

They might be considering all coaling as active burn while you may not consider anything after flame out part of burn time.

You might want to consider something like stove top temp crossing 250 being the end of burn time.

Thank you for all the tips I will try this next time, currently the weather is going to be in the 50s not trying to burn until the 35 below mark.

Update for everyone. I have the owner of place I bought it from coming to test. I stuffed this thing with as much wood k had indoors. I was down to one log after 2 hours. This was with watching temps and after 20min from load dropping down to a 7/8th opening. Flames didn't last to long.

How long should I be expecting flames with the stove if stuffed? I seem to have no issues getting it up to 550 before choking it back on the damper.
1000002598.jpg

Reactions: ctreitzell
I think you’re not turning down the air soon enough. If you’re going by stove top temp and waiting til it reaches 550 you may be wasting heat up the flue and causing the whole load to off gas at once. A better way imo is to watch the flue temps which will react sooner and allow you to turn down the air sooner and create a longer burn.

I know in my manual it states to turn down the air to desired output when the stove top reaches 400 but they also tell you to put the thermometer off to the side which isn’t even the hottest spot. I place mine dead center but mostly watch the internal pipe temps and adjust the air down in three different increments, start at the highest air setting till I reach 400 then set it to med til I reach 600, then low. The stove top can lag way behind and I may not even be up to 400 before I have the air set to my desired setting.

Also burn times don’t mean flames for 7-8 hours. I see flames for maybe 4 hours maybe a bit more the the stove reaches the coaling stage for a good 6-8 hours more. This is also when stove top temps start to slowly fall. Still making a lot of heat for the first few hours of that coaling stage.

Last edited:
Sorry should have stated the temps are flue temps.

I woke up this morning so roughly 5-6 hours with barely any coals if any where needed some small kindling to get started. Sadly was what I was told by a family member so didn't get a photo.

In terms of turning down maybe I'll leave full open till like 400 and half until around 450-500 before the 7/8

Reactions: Todd
I can’t tell for sure but the splits may look a little on the small side as well? Try placing a large split in the lower back about the size of three of those in the picture then fill in tight from there. Also how long are those splits? I think the F500 can take a 24” log?