Jotul Oslo or step up to soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsil

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
western maine
We have decided on the Jotul Oslo. Now I am Questioning my decision, should we step up to soapstone? Why or why not?

Great work horse we sell tons of that model a year and it is nice woodstove jotul makes side door is great good long burn and heat out put dnt second guess youself

Second guess yourself... You cant beat soapstone!

No way to give you an informed answer unless you tell us what you are trying to achieve? Full time burning? Weekends? Quick heat when you get home from work?

I have an Oslo, it does a nice job. Soapstone would do a nice job too I'm sure. I burn 24/7. I like my cast iron, I like to get big time heat when I want it.

How big is your place there in Maine, I understand it can get cold up there eh? :)

Was just looking at the newest reviews to come in, and there was a good one on the Oslo:
https://www.hearth.com/ratesingles/rate2261.html

I don't think soapstone is always a step UP, just a different material and look.

I say if you decided on it, GO FOR IT.

ansehnlich1 said:
How big is your place there in Maine, I understand it can get cold up there eh? :)

We Third the choice of Jotul Oslo. We're on the third winter with the Oslo for 24/7 heat in 1/2 the house. Well made, great customer service, and....it's pretty ( she likes the blue/black porcelain).
As moma Craig says, you're not moving "up" to soapstone, just different. Soapstone will hold heat longer than cast or steel stoves, but sometimes fractures ,stains or discolors, and takes longer to heat up.

Now folks, we just tell you southerners--anything south of Portland, Maine-- about the severe cold ( how cold is it ?) to keep Paradise Paradise. :p Visit, don't migrate.

445 lbs of pure heat output. This is my third winter using it and have no complaints about it......good choice.

WoodButcher

You have to look a stove year around and for years to come, a long time. Get the best looking one you can. The one you both want.

I wanted a black soap stone stove . My wife wanted the sea foam enameled one. She got her choice, shes really happy with this stove. Just make sure its box is big over 2.5 CF for real cold weather heating.

What stove does your wife like?

HearthStone Heritage break in fire!!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3106/

It is hard for you to make a big mistake as both the Jotul and Soapstone stoves are great and use good technologies.
So, I'd have to agree with the prior post, it depends on what looks good to you and what you want to achieve.
The one thing different about the Soapstone units is the "time release" effect of the heat stored within the stone.
Everyone should be able to choose between two great options, hard to fail that way....

Hi, I also looked at the Heritage when I first started looking and decided on the F 500. My family like the blast of heat fromthe cast stove. I liked both, but the F 500 has a larger side door. I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7 andit doesa great job. WHAT A HEATER!

Jim

Thanks for all of your replies. After your input, and the fact that the stove will be on the far end of the house, it would probably take an eternity to warm the farthest room from the stove with the soapstone. I think we will need the blast available from the jotul. It is my wife's favorite, and if Momma's happy, EVERYONE is happy! Has the enamel chipping been a problem with anyone? After reading about chipping problems, and the stove salesman telling us of it, We are going to go with the straight up black cast iron. Now, if the sweep will show up tomorrow to inspect the ball will be rolling. Thanks again, Doug

Doug Doug Doug:
Not to worry about chipping a porcelain stove. We've had 4 over the years with some very minor chips
easily repaired. How often has your frig or washing machine chipped ?
Porcelain is a durable finish, nice looking, and very low maintenance: damp rag wipe (when cool !). The plain flat cast
finish looks terrible by the middle of the winter: blotchy, uneven, no longer all black. In the spring, if you
want the stove to look nice, it needs painting ( no one uses stove black anymore, don't).
Spend the extra $$$$ for porcelain. Please yourself, please SWMBO ( She Who Must Be Obeyed).
Extra cost per year comes to little compared to the time, effort and $$$
redoing an unfinished cast stove. It's a wash. Go with porcelain.

Status
Not open for further replies.