Jotul Oslo paint coming off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molly1414

Nov 20, 2007
Nevada County Foothills
We have a Jotul Oslo that was purchased new from the dealer last year. This is our second year burning it Today I noticed that the paint on the top of the stove in the center of the oval plate is all peeling off in small flakes. I have a trivet on top of the stove directly over where the paint is coming off. The trivet was purchased from the same dealer and they did not say anything about using one. I paid a lot for this stove and am upset about the paint. Will my warranty cover the paint problem? Thanks

Did you allow the paint to fully cure before beginning to use the trivet? Have you accidentally spilled water on the syove while it was hot in that location? What temp are you running the stove top to?

A few things can cause paint bubble and begin to flake off. Not being cured, thermal shock, abrasions and water getting under the paint, and of course overfiring.

Not sure about the warranty, but it should be an easy fix with some fine sand paper and some touch up paint when the stove is cool.

I just dug back and it looks like this is a brown enameled stove, not painted. Correct? There is a two year warranty on the enamel finish.

I had what I think was a water spill onto the enamel finish. It left a quarter size dull finish. So I stopped putting a trivet and water pot on the stove. It doesn't do much anyway. I'd guess your issue was water.

I wouldn't put a steamer directly on an enameled top. Xman is correct, it doesn't do much and risks damaging the finish.

I noticed in a previous post you said that the top of your stove was glowing, it's possible that this could be the reason for the peeling, at least it's only the oval plate which isn't a big ticket item, better than the whole top.

Reactions: webby3650
I noticed in a previous post you said that the top of your stove was glowing, it's possible that this could be the reason for the peeling, at least it's only the oval plate which isn't a big ticket item, better than the whole top.
"Glowing" would be bad!!

The only time I've seen enamel flaking or coming off is If the stove was being over fired. Therefore it's not covered under warranty.

Reactions: jotulguy
A glowing stove is not good. Evidence of overfiring would definitely void the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.