Jotul Oslo refurb has begun...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davespider

Aug 16, 2020
NorthWest, MI
I recently purchased an Oslo F500 (for $400). There's a good bit of surface rust...but it's coming off nicely with a couple wire wheels. I still need to get the top off...but the nuts are pretty much stuck. I'm planning on soaking with PB blaster to see if that helps. I may end up trying to take the oval off so I can access the internals, clean and replace the blanket.
Here are some pics...let me know if you see something I don't. :)

Unloading 450lb stove...by myself.
Photo Aug 23, 2 11 57 PM.jpg

Rust, pre-wire wheeling.
Photo Aug 23, 3 14 04 PM (1).jpg

Furnace cement will need some lovin' in places...
Photo Aug 23, 3 12 00 PM.jpg

Older style 2 piece cast baffle...
Photo Aug 23, 3 12 41 PM (1).jpg

Thanks!!

Dave in NW Michigan.

Your work is cut out for you. Please take the time and do some photography during the process! Thanks for Sharing. I look forward to your end results.

FYI...the rust is coming off relatively easily - it looks worse than it really is.

I'm wondering if I can get by not having to completely disassemble the stove this season. Can I apply furnace cement kinda like caulk in those areas where it has flaked off?

It looks like it might be worth a total disassembly in order to seal the seams well. Otherwise, it's just a patch job. Try to get some Hearthstone stove cement. It's close to the original Jotul cement.

Dave, you can slide the burn plates out to the front of the stove. You don't need to take the top off. Unless there are other issues. The insulation blanket can folded and slid in place.

Hows the burn plates? They can warp.

I agree with begreen I would do a full teardown

The griddle and top are pretty easy to remove if you can get the bolts loose. A little heat from a propane torch may help with that but not too much. Cast iron doesn't like to be heated unevenly and can crack when it is.

I'd grind down the casting flash also to create a better seal at gasket surfaces. I disassembled my Oslo a bit during its install. There are some photos here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...oslo-liner-and-stove-install.38467/post-38467

Partial teardown and cleaning continues....
I will need to replace my baffle blanket - it was an ashy mess - anyone know what size and thickness it should be?

Secondary burn tubes and other internals have some surface rust...but all is solid. Don't think I need to worry about
deep cleaning it...do I?
Photo Aug 27, 10 24 02 PM.jpg

I'm guessing they had a kettle of water boil over...and didn't do much clean up. Speaking of 2ndary burn tubes....
can someone explain to me where the extra air comes from? Do I need to remove the back to access that area to clean?
Photo Aug 27, 10 22 55 PM.jpg

Air intake was clean.
Photo Aug 27, 10 31 38 PM.jpg

Before:
Photo Aug 23, 3 14 04 PM (1).jpg

Some time with a couple wire wheels and about a 1.5 cans of Satin Stove Bright paint and she looking pretty good!
I'm just waiting on gaskets to arrive...
After:
IMG_3234.jpg

I may touch up a couple spots yet...but she's looking a whole lot better.

Thanks for everyones tips and suggestions!

Attachments

• Photo Aug 27, 10 27 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 10 27 33 PM.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 142
Great job ,looks like new,I hope it performs well for you

Reactions: davespider
It looks great. Take out the primary air slider valve and clean that up with some coarse steel wool. Clean up the tracks it slides on too. That will make the air control much smoother. For extra points, Dust the area with graphite powder before putting the slider back in.