Jotul Oslo vs. Blaze King Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH Novice

Feb 2, 2014
United States
As my handle says, I'm new here so bear with me. Before posting, I did read the warnings and I'm aware this is probably the most cliche post on here, but I could use the help and the forum's collective expertise.

Here is my situation. I'm a relative novice to wood stoves. Over the past three years I've owned two. I was renting a cabin that had a Morso 3610 (great stove) in the basement and heated the whole house.

Recently, I bought a new home which has an old (25 year old) Jotul model. I didn't pay too much attention to it during the inspection but after moving in quickly realized that it is an old catalytic model but the stove had been overfired and the box were the cat would go is warped. As a result of its age and wear the stove is really inefficient and old burns for about 2 hours before either sputtering out (if the air is turned down at all) or completely eating up all the wood.

The house is a forty year old open-concept post and beam. The main floor is one big room with the master bedroom lofted above. In all, the space is just over 1400 sq feet. The ceilings are fairly high (~20ft).

I've done a lot of research online and gone to see both these stoves, which are available locally. These two stoves are my finalists (I also considered soapstone but surprisingly my lady finds them ugly).

Here are my goals. I would like to heat my home almost exclusively with wood. Our propane kicks in at about 58 degrees - so I would be hoping to keep the house consistently over that temp. Right now, when we go to bed our home is usually at about 72 at 11 PM and by 6 AM the propane is kicking on. However, since we only get about two hours of burntime, the stove is not really burning after about 1:30AM. If we had burn times in the 6-8 hour range we could avoid this for longer.

Here are the pros and cons I've come up with:

Jotul: I'm used to the non-cat system; side loading which my girlfriend prefers for safety, cost (about $750 less than the Blaze King); nice lookin' fire

Blaze King: Longer burn time, might keep us over 58 degrees the whole day(?); likely to eat less wood; cost is higher; window may get blacked out; higher learning curve; higher upkeep costs

I am wondering what people think about the relative merits of these stoves. Also, if I get the Blaze King, how safe or unsafe is it to keep it on low while one is away at work? We both work 9 to 5 so we are out of the home and not attending the fire for that amount of time. Are there important pros or cons I'm not considering?

Welcome.

Safe to assume you are in New Hampshire? Either one should be a good choice if the house is fairly well insulated. It may be only 1400 sq feet, but the tall ceilings make it bigger.

I think it comes to personal preference. The BK is not that hard to figure out. In fact, I feel better with my wife burning it while I'm gone overnight for work. It is very predictable and easy to control, no matter what. The cat will have to replaced periodically.

I don't know of any unhappy Oslo owners. Either stove needs dry wood to operate properly, just like any modern stove.

Our stove burns 24/7. If something bad is going to happen, I would rather it be while we're gone and not when we're sleeping. Make sure everything is installed properly, according to code and manufacturer specs, and there should be no worries.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I suspect either stove mentioned would work.

BKs are reknown for their long burns . . . legendary burns . . . and there are many folks here who will attest to the quality of the stove and the truth about just how long they burn. I suspect there are some BK owners who will be along at some point to let you know of their own experiences . . . generally BKs are well loved.

Jotul Oslos also have a lot of fans as they are near bullet-proof.

I can only personally speak to the Oslo . . . I would guess 90-95% of my heating in a two-story 1,800 square foot Cape (no loft though) is done with the Oslo. Generally I go to bed around 10, sometimes earlier . . . wake up around 5 and there are plenty of coals to get the fire going. Depending on the weather and temps outside the oil boiler may kick on sometime right before I wake up as we have our thermostats set at 60 degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.