Jotul rangeley 50 tl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood burner 7

Sep 19, 2015
Ohio
Hello everyone I want to have a jutol rangeley professional installed in my walk out basement and wanted to know if anyone gets smoke roll out with top or front door when reloading? Is this a good drafting stove? Was wondering with the 84% efficiency if chimney gets hot enough to produce good draft? I am worried my house will smell like smoke. Thanks

Hi there. If smoke is rolling out of the Jotul 50TL it will likely roll out of other stoves too. The issue causing it would be weak draft. This could be from a circuitous smoke path, too short chimney, too tight house or most commonly negative pressure in the basement. If the house is exceptionally tight an outside air kit (OAK) will help remedy this problem. The stove will want at least a 15 ft chimney, but elbows and tees introduce 90 deg turns into the smoke path so delete about 3 ft of height for each of these turns. Exterior chimneys will be cold on start up so anything that can be done to improve and reverse draft will help. Some solutions would be double-wall stove pipe, 45 elbows with a short transition instead of a 90 and under poor conditions some folks need to use a hair dryer to blow warm air up the flue to get it drafting well.

Negative pressure is a long topic. It can have multiple causes like exhaust fans, open windows upstairs, open attic vent, competing appliances, etc.. Here's a good article on the topic. An OAK may help remedy the issue by providing the stove a direct air supply.
http://www.woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html
How tall will the chimney be and will it run up through the house or be an exterior chimney?

Thanks for info. It's going to be a straight up interior chimney
4.5 ft double wall and 18 ft of class A. I am going to install a
Skuttle make air kit 216 on force air furance for upstairs and
OAK on stove.
Thanks again

That's a good start. Draft will improve as outdoor temperatures go down as long as other conditions aren't competing with it. When burning 24/7 and the chimney stays warm this may not be an issue.

Usually you gain draft with a taller chimney. What can happen is the flue gases start to cool to the point where they condense as creosote even though the draft is good. There are a lot of factors that determine this point like fire temp, stage of burn, chimney height, outside temps, interior stove piping, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.