Jotul Sebago Install Quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Had a local stove shop come out and give me a bid for swapping out my Jotul F45 for a Jotul Sebago.
Stove $3750
Class A conversion kit $591
Direct vent system $747
Gas line a fittings $220
Kuma snow wedge $640
Labor $900
Tax $376
Total $7224
F45 trade in $1500

I was a bit surprised how high it was especially labor cost. Looking at online costs of materials it looks like they pretty much charge double. I did think the F45 trade was a fair price though. Looks like I’ll pass on this one.

The install will take 2 techs about 4 hours to install. That’s about $112.50 per hour each. Not awfully high. I would question the need for a snow wedge. You have a Class A chimney that has withstood your Wisconsin winters without one. The price of the snow wedge is also about 4x higher than most I have seen. The Class A conversion kit it also priced too high…

Yeah we had over 120” snow this year and haven’t had any buildup, it usually slides right off once there’s a few inches up there with a steep 10-12 pitch and southern exposure.

I was thinking they could just run a 4” liner down the current double wall pipe but they said it has to be direct vent pipe?

They CAN and are REQUIRED to run a 4" liner from the DV cap to the Class A Conversion Kit, with DV pipe from there to the stove.

Reactions: Todd
Ah ok thanks. I have 10’ of double wall pipe inside straight up to the ceiling support box and 12’ of class A. He did mention removing a section of class A that wasn’t needed for a gas stove.