Jotul Series 8AP draft concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NurseNancy

Sep 16, 2019
OR
I am new to wood stoves only having used used an old Jotul 602 for 1 season. This is the setup I now have for a barely used Jotul Series 8 AP my landlord recently installed. I know I have probably have draft problems from the chimney not following 10-2-3ft rule. Do I also have draft problems due to the pipe going from 6" to 8" at the ceiling? I am burning fairly seasoned madrone, but often having trouble maintaining burn if I engage the draft slider. I also can get a lot of smoke billowing in-house when I reload. I also read that draft problems can cause accelerated creosote buildup. Before I talk to my landlord, I would appreciate someone explaining or pointing me where to read about the draft problems and creosote issues. Thank you kindly.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 123
How well seasoned and dry is the firewood? Partially seasoned wood may be the cause of the smoke and difficulty burning.

Note that is not a proper or adequate hearth for a wood stove and not what is required for this specific model.