Jotul vs. pacific energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regency is another good Canadian company making stoves nearby. They have a solid build and an excellent warranty.

Well, here is an update. I know some of you will be disappointed. I brought my husband to the supplier to take a final look. After all the input I received from here I was deciding between either the enviro Venice or PE alderlea t5 insert. My husband then thru me off and said we should get the VC montepelier. I told him everything I heard about it, the company changing, the expensive bricks, ect . He is confident it will be fine. It will suit the space best but I am nervous we will have issues.

We have a fireplace in the basement, similar size but rectangular. Worst comes to worst we move it down there and get the alderlea t5. :)

They are coming this Saturday for the install.

I'll post pictures once it's finished and let you know how the heat output is. Fingers crossed.

Well, here is an update. I know some of you will be disappointed. I brought my husband to the supplier to take a final look. After all the input I received from here I was deciding between either the enviro Venice or PE alderlea t5 insert. My husband then thru me off and said we should get the VC montepelier. I told him everything I heard about it, the company changing, the expensive bricks, ect . He is confident it will be fine. It will suit the space best but I am nervous we will have issues.

We have a fireplace in the basement, similar size but rectangular. Worst comes to worst we move it down there and get the alderlea t5. :)

They are coming this Saturday for the install.

I'll post pictures once it's finished and let you know how the heat output is. Fingers crossed.

No, no . . . this is perfect for you.

If the VC works out and works out great you can be happy and warm.

If the VC does not work out for you, you can always hold this against your husband by telling him what you really wanted was the PE or Enviro . . . and if you play your cards right you can milk this one for a very long time (i.e. what car I really wanted to buy was _____, what restaurant I really wanted to go to was ____________.) :) Of course, I kid . . . I hope it works out well for you both.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I'll post pictures once it's finished and let you know how the heat output is. Fingers crossed

How is the Montpelier working out? Any pics? My dealer is offering a great discount on the floor model so I'm considering it.

How is the Montpelier working out? Any pics? My dealer is offering a great discount on the floor model so I'm considering it.
We really like it so far. It suits our space perfectly and we definitely get enough heat for our family room. We don't even have the fan wired up, so it will produce more heat once it's working.

A couple of comments so far,

1. We can't see how we would get an overnight burn. We read it can have burn times up to 10 hours and there is no way we see that happening. We are new to this and maybe it's our burning technique but if we have the damper down all the way, once it's hot, a few split logs will burn in an hour or two. But we really are happy with how big the firebox is and the large viewing of the fire.

2. You really need good seasoned wood to keep the glass clean. The first batch was not and caused the window to turn brown. I was really annoyed that this happened but it did come off with wet newspaper dipped in ash. With good seasoned wood the window stays perfectly clear. I would say only the glass side near the hinge gets a bit dirty. (I ended buying a moisture meter and wood that is 10% and lower works best)

3. Maybe our draw is not the best (16 ft liner) but sometimes when you open the door some smoke comes into the room. Again I think that happens when the firebox is not hot enough and you have bad wood. Not sure though.

4. It works for us but I'd say it's probably not the most rugged insert. We don't want the brick panels to break and the door is pretty big so we try to be careful.

If you are getting a good deal on a floor model sounds good. I would just check that the door is still in good condition. Look at the hinges and latch maybe...and check those brick panels inside aren't cracked or damaged.

I will post pictures shortly.

image.jpg Here is a picture but I am still waiting for the black metal panel that will fit inside the fireplace opening.
The wood I have in there now is really dry but a pain to get burning, I'm not sure what type it is...image.jpg

Very hard wood like locust or white oak needs the heat of good dry kindling to get going well. SuperCedar starters make this easier.

View attachment 147315 Here is a picture but I am still waiting for the black metal panel that will fit inside the fireplace opening.
The wood I have in there now is really dry but a pain to get burning, I'm not sure what type it is...View attachment 147312

Looks nice! Thanks for posting pics. My dealer had sold the Montpelier before I had a chance to buy it. I thought $2K for a closeout floor model was a good deal. Said the MSRP was $3400 or so! So I ended up going with the Jotul Rockland. Spent this afternoon sweeping the chimney, cleaning out the firebox, and running electrical for the blower. SS liner should arrive tomorrow and then insulate and block off plate. Hopefully all ready to go on install Saturday. Now if I could just get this damn damper removed! :mad:

I am sure you will be happy with Rockland. I am jealous. Sounds like the install will be good too. Our installer said we didn't need an insulated liner and didn't know what a block off plate was. There are only so many times I can insist and inquire, maybe I should have demanded...The way I see it is, we can improve these things in the future. Good luck and happy burning!

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Enjoy your new insert. I put some black filter media over the blower intake. It helps keep out dust build up on the blower wheels

Reactions: begreen
Enjoy your new insert. I put some black filter media over the blower intake. It helps keep out dust build up on the blower wheels
Sounds like a good idea, but is the media plastic?

polyurethane foam filter media cut to fit the intake which never gets warm on this insert. I cant speak for other inserts.

This thread is almost 4 years old.

:)

And now going to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.