Judge my first year stacking wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DreaRocks

May 26, 2021
Raleigh, NC
not bad for a total Newb? Also, I just picked up these seasoned Iogs... going to learn to split soon! There are more big logs to come, need a place to put them!

20210602_092316.jpg 20210525_095509.jpg

Very nice. Learn to cross start the ends with the straighter splits. It will make stacking easier and more stable.

I have wood supports on the sides, can I do that style with those supports?
I start cross crossing about one two rows below the top of the end support. I think next time I will just stick 8 footers in the end supports. Looking good better than my first stack.

Think ahead now. Where is the next 2 years worth of wood going to go?

Attachments

• ECF13367-E4DA-4591-8976-5EF0C73CC197.jpeg
    ECF13367-E4DA-4591-8976-5EF0C73CC197.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: DreaRocks
Nice work. I stack similarly...have 8 x 1 cord stacks then the rest in various spots around the property. There are identical stacks behind these that are 8" apart and linked via branches across both halfway up for stability. Kids can slam into into and they wont topple.. Here is what it looks like:

16226562013657482973988295881067.jpg

Then here is a pallet stack. I cross stack the edges here because there's no side support. The main stacks have wood side support so they aren't cross stacked:

20210528_130146.jpg

I plan to build lean-to roofs over all the stacks once lumber prices come back down to earth...tarps are a PITA but I'm not paying $11 for a 2x4.

Last edited:
Other thing I will do with the tall end supports is to tie rope end to end, to support my tarp so it won’t touch the wood and wear holes

Last edited:
I was thinking 8 foot woods would be better too! And YES it's pricy right now for sure, I read it wont go down for at least 2 years... I was going to build a wood shed, but that's not happening right now. Also, those round logs are about a quarter of the stack I have to go pick up. Thankfully, I have 1/2 acre... but man, Im already running out of room! Haha

I just estimated my stack is about 5 cords. 8x14x6. I have more room to stack on the back side after I burn a row of pine. So the stack will keep moving backwards. It’s out of sight behind my shed and a bush but I need another stacking location for about two cords of poplar.

I have wood supports on the sides, can I do that style with those supports?
With cross stacking you don't need end supports. The cross stacking supports the ends.

With cross stacking you don't need end supports. The cross stacking supports the ends.

This definitely works but is harder if there aren't too many uniform pieces. I do it a lot with oak and ash because it's easy to split slabs. Stuff like cherry and maple I prefer the ease of wood supports. Just toss it in and it's good.

All depends what you have on hand species and materials wise when stacking. Not a good time to buy wood as is well documented. If I were starting from scratch today I'd harvest a chit load of pallets from local box stores and make a pallet island.

Yikes those are some big boy splits! What are you burning in? Nice stacks. My 1.85 cu ft box couldn't handle those puppies. I keep mine mostly 17" and 3-5".

Also tell me more about the guns. Former skeet shooter here until the wife outlawed guns in the house when the kids arrived.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Yikes those are some big boy splits! What are you burning in? Nice stacks. My 1.85 cu ft box couldn't handle those puppies. I keep mine mostly 17" and 3-5".

Also tell me more about the guns. Former skeet shooter here until the wife outlawed guns in the house when the kids arrived.
The end columns are mostly 17x4x6in. I stack 12 layers high for approx. 4 ft. , and 4 pallets long for 2 rows approx. 2 face cords long. The guns are 1973 Browning Broadway Trap and 1929 Winchester Model 12 Trap.

what are those logs seasoned with? certainly not dry until its split and stacked though.

I on occasion use end support but prefer end columns. If I use end supports I run a rope through the stack and tie it to the end supports. As the stack settles it tends to tighten the rope a bit pulling in the end supports.

That is a very pretty picture with your " spoiled mut" sitting or laying with his feet stretched out enjoying the beautiful cut grass and all that clean looking well stacked wood in the background--I would make that into a christmas card and really enlarge that beautiful Pup and have him tower over everything---lol---enjoyed...clancey

That is a very pretty picture with your " spoiled mut" sitting or laying with his feet stretched out enjoying the beautiful cut grass and all that clean looking well stacked wood in the background--I would make that into a christmas card and really enlarge that beautiful Pup and have him tower over everything---lol---enjoyed...clancey
You got that right! He is SUPER Spoiled! Haha thank you! Christmas card sounds like a fantastic Idea!

You're doing well neighbor. Get 2-3 years ahead on your firewood. In our neck of the woods, drying times pretty quick. Keep the top covered and let the summer sun and wind dry'em up.