Judging leaf springs on trailers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
The other day I was in on a conversation with some folks about hauling stuff with their trucks/trailers. Someone mentioned something about going underneath and checking the leaf springs to make sure they weren't overweight.

I understand that the more weight you add the more the springs flatten out. But what would you look for to tell if the springs are maxed?

Actually I wouldn't be concerned about the springs myself. I would be worried about the axle rating. If you have 3000LB axle, the combined trailer weight and the payload shouldn't exceed that rating.

Look to see if the axle has room to travel before hitting the pinon snubber or frame. Make sure the bearings can take the load also.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.