just a big thanks to all you woodstove bloggers!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geka

Oct 30, 2008
New Jersey
My husband told me to please tell you "THANK YOU" for informing those who seek your advice to put a damper in the woodstove pipe. We followed that suggestion with the recent install of our Hearthstone Heritage and it was one of the best pieces of advice we could have been given. AND the Heritage is purring along beautifully. We are still figuring out the ins and outs of making our new stove work it's best but we are getting there. It is keeping our Keeping Room nice and toasty and the heat is migrating to other parts of the house. We installed a small fan in one doorway and that is helping also. I did read somewhere in THE HEARTH ROOM something about having a fan blow toward the stove...maybe someone can clarify that?? Curious about that but maybe I wasn't reading it correctly. Thanks woodstove bloggers...you have been extremely helpful.

alot of people have better luck blowing the cold air towards the stove in return the warm leaves the stove area heating the colder area.

Truth be told, we post on here cuz we're addicted, can't help ourselves!

As far as air's concerned, some believe in blowin' it up, some blow it down, one thing for sure, no shortage of HOT AIR on this site, haha.

If ya got a cold room far removed from the stove, ya might have to go to plan b. My wife and I have one of them oil filled electric heaters we run in our master bath on the cold nights, when it's like 25 and below, and/or windy outside, but our place is one floor, 1850 sq. feet, and the master bedroom and bath are around a 90 degree corner and removed from the stove area.

All sort and manner of air blowing was tried, I gave up. Been looking at the electric woodstoves for the bedroom, maybe add some heat and ambiance.

geka you did put a damper in and you say its working fine,,Im still considering putting one in,I tryed to get some some feed back on the subject but it seems not to many want to chime in on the subject...I have a ranch house and the stack goes through the attic...its not a tall stack..probley the min ...but it does seem like i would be able to get longer burns with a damper...

I am not a pro by any means. We never used a damper with our previous stove but with the new efficient stove that we just installed we have found that the draw is very strong and yes in order to have a longer burn time a damper was our solution. I kept reading posts that recommended a damper so we decided to just put it in when we installed the stove. Doesn't cost much. Hope this helps you some. Like I said I am not a pro. Just one woodstove owner to another.

New to stoves here too, but just firing it up today glad I put a damper in, I got it fired up, and let it burn full open until the stove pipe thermometer topped the safe burn area,,,,,,then twisted it back: the pipe thermometer dropped back just a bit, and the stove just started throwing the heat! Probably obvious to the long time burners around here, but I thought the effect was impressive.

ok im going to install the damper i ve had for two weeks...i have a double wall pipe that goes straight up to a 8' cealing..i have a temp probe about 26-28'' above the stove,where to put the damper??

geka said:
We installed a small fan in one doorway and that is helping also. I did read somewhere in THE HEARTH ROOM something about having a fan blow toward the stove...maybe someone can clarify that?? Curious about that but maybe I wasn't reading it correctly. Thanks woodstove bloggers...you have been extremely helpful.

Try fans both ways and in different places and see what works. For me, it immediately made a HUGE difference to use a small floor-level fan to blow the cold air out of my small office off the other side of a long front room from the stove-- in other words, to switch it from trying to blow the warmer air in to blowing the cold air out. My chilled tootsies tucked under my desk felt the difference in about 5 minutes. When I get a chance, I'm going to try putting the fan in the top corner of the doorway and see how that works, but I suspect floor level works best for this situation.

I've since also experimented with putting an ordinary room fan a few feet from the stove in the big room and blowing toward it, so really more blowing the warm air toward the far end of the room, and that's helped too. So it partly depends on where your stove is in relation to the area you want to heat and the general set-up of your furniture around the stove. Blowing cooler air toward the stove through the seating area, for instance, you'll get an unpleasant cold draft on your ankles or the tops of your heads, depending on whether your fan is on the floor or in the top of your doorway. So there are various trade-offs, and you just have to try different things until you get the best result for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.