Just a few questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
Hi guys, got the best fire this year out of the beast of a wood stove of mine. As most of you all know I have had a time out of the stove . The last thing I did was removed the gaskets from the top of all the glass because of the crude air wash. Got up at 6:30 this morning, started a fire at 6:45am. At 7:30am loaded up the stove with 3 splits 2 about 5" splits and a 3"round. Top out at 600°F and got 4 hour burn out of it. That was the best fire I got out of the stove. Now the wind has picked up 15-30 MPH and the stove is really drafting. You can hear the air draft over the door glass.
1.) With the wind up today will it be too much air draft for the stove?
2.) With the temps I am getting if I put the cats in how much hotter will it get?

mellow said:
Have you posted pictures of your outside chimney yet?

Yes.

Didn't want to wade through a ton of posts if it wasn't there. I found it and that looks good.

Looks like you don't have many trees around so with the wind blowing it will increase your draft a good amount, can't really say if it is to much, to much would be overfiring the stove if you ask me.

As for the cats, the usual cruising temp is around 550-600 depending on the stove when you throttle the air way down.

One thing I wanted to mention is the fact it is in the 50's down your way right now, I would wait till it gets in the 40's and below to really test your draft.

Hi guys, Today the stove is burning right in IMO. Yesterday with the wind gusting up to 30MPH the stove was whistling Dixie and I just did not want to see the stove turn in to a forge. I am guessing that you all think my stove is doing good now since not many replied.

I guess also that if the cat was in the stove it would not make that much difference in the temperature out put?

AppalachianStan said:
Hi guys, Today the stove is burning right in IMO. Yesterday with the wind gusting up to 30MPH the stove was whistling Dixie and I just did not want to see the stove turn in to a forge. I am guessing that you all think my stove is doing good now since not many replied.

I guess also that if the cat was in the stove it would not make that much difference in the temperature out put?

The cat should make an improvement in the stove performance.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.