Just because it says Fisher on the front DOESN'T make it a Fisher !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coaly

Fisher Moderator
Staff member
Dec 22, 2007
NE PA
The closer one looks at this Baby Bear on eBay the stranger it gets!

Looks like a Baby Bear box and door that someone other than a Fisher welder finished. STOLEN box and door that was vented, ash fender fabricated, and bricked by ..................?

At first glance, OK someone put the hinge pins in up side down and they are now defying gravity;

Baby 3.JPG

But in this side pic, it appears some sort of set bolt is holding the pins from falling out? Door hinge not finish drilled for pins?

Baby 2.JPG And no, the tag was not attached to the side, it was on the rear shield..................... Which isn't the rear shield from any Fisher Stove due to wrinkle finish, and construction. The back should have this integral shield made of cold rolled steel.

Late Baby with feet Campton NH. 2.jpg

The top vent should protrude down into the stove - through hole cut to fit outside dimension of flue vent;

Baby 4.JPG Yeah, WOW (help me here CamFan)

And INSIDE.......... forgive the owner for adding a door gasket, there is NO channel iron door seal on stove front ! (only double door glass IV model used door gasket with no iron door seal) The added air intake diverter behind air intake reduces primary air and has to screw up combustion big time...... The short brick clips were used on older stoves and this later body should have long angle iron pieces across sides and back. Notice they are welded low enough to place bricks sideways on the sides........ bricks are not upright protecting sides and increasing combustion chamber temperature;

Baby 5.JPG What the ????

And where the Mama Bear VII tag came from we'll never know;

Baby 7.JPG

Did you contact the seller about your concerns?

Yeah, his reply;

Dear coaly,
Ok...thanks for the schooling
- look-ifoundit

There was an auction not long ago where the seller described a double door stove as a Papa, needing door gasket, blah blah blah..... So I told him what it was, and how they didn't require door gasket material like most stoves. I sent him a link to the Fireplace Series Details thread so he knew a little history about what he had.
Here's his reply, he decided not to sell it !

Dear coaly,
Thanks for the information coaly! I have pulled my listing off so that I can take a little time to understand my stove...I kinda feel a little more connected to it now.
- sunnydreams

Yes, I guess it's not fair for us to assume that everyone out there knows what a Fisher stove is!
Good for you for educating these lost souls!

I have an old grandpa bear in the garage for shop heat and am very thankful that it crossed my path.
Most people who see it say: "WOW, what a big old stove, does it still work?"
Some select few are more like: "Nothing throws a heat like those old Fisher stoves!"

I tend to more easily offer a top up of coffee/drink to the folks who response is like the second one!

My brother runs a grandma bear in his basement and we often get into discussions about how "they just don't make them like that anymore".
Funny how Bob Fisher's work can still strike up long conversations (literally while sitting around his wood stoves) even after all these years.

I guess I just find it sad when people are trying to sell these stoves (or bad imitations) and have no clue of the history behind them.
Cheers
Brent

P.S. I have to ask, where did you get the little shirt on the bear in your picture, my kids would love it?

That is a Ganz teddy bear that was given with the purchase of a Teddy Bear stove from some Canadian dealers. It was a promotional Fisher item.

Teddy Bear.jpg Like new condition, eBay a few years ago from Canada near Niagra Falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.