Just bought 2 stoves (Madison, Tranquility)...I'm now a nervous wreck.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would concentrate on your 'primary' downstairs wood stove first. Get that installed, get it running and see what you think. Working on 2 stove installs would stress me out.

Good luck..welcome :)

Primary is upstairs. What brand of pipe should I go with? Went to ventingpipe.com, who gave me the support numbers for Duravent and MetalBest. Lowe's has a brand called Supervent, but I'm not sure of the quality. I don't need top of the line, but I don't want crap, either. Also, the roof I'm going through is a 12/12 pitch, but due to settling, it's off by a few degrees. How much is this going to screw with the thimble, and can you get shims or something to offset this issue?

Primary is upstairs. What brand of pipe should I go with? Went to ventingpipe.com, who gave me the support numbers for Duravent and MetalBest. Lowe's has a brand called Supervent, but I'm not sure of the quality. I don't need top of the line, but I don't want crap, either. Also, the roof I'm going through is a 12/12 pitch, but due to settling, it's off by a few degrees. How much is this going to screw with the thimble, and can you get shims or something to offset this issue?

The pipe hangs off a gimbal mounted on the joists on the roof and is self adjusting so that it goes down straight. Your roof has to be pretty far off for it not to work..

If you're asking about where it attaches to the roof, the bottom of the gimbal is sheet metal and can be bent

In the attached picture the gimbal is called the storm collar

TypicalCeilingInstallation.gif

Reactions: Hesta
The pipe hangs off a gimbal mounted on the joists on the roof and is self adjusting so that it goes down straight. Your roof has to be pretty far off for it not to work..

If you're asking about where it attaches to the roof, the bottom of the gimbal is sheet metal and can be bent

We have a 12/12 ceiling, so the ceiling support will have to have a 45 degree frame. It's that frame welded onto the ceiling support not being flush I'm worried about. And I was told by the neighbor that we'd have to have a "cricket" because of the heavy snows. Is that the same thing as the flashing?

View attachment 196653
The chimney does not hang by the storm collar at all. In most cases it is supported at the bottom by a support box and then some depending on the height maybe some additional support brackets along the way. There are roof supports that do hang the chimney that go under the flashing but they are totally different.

The pitch being off a little wont matter at all. At worst you may need to trim the top of the flashing a bit but probably not.

Reactions: webby3650
The flashing is universal from 7-12 pitch, and is still a little forgiving if it's a little over or under.

There's nothing wrong with the pipe from lowes either. It's all tested to the same standard, low end brands often don't have the needed accessories available for tricky installs.
Super-vent is the same company as Metalbestos/Hart&Cooley.

The flashing is universal from 7-12 pitch, and is still a little forgiving if it's a little over or under.

There's nothing wrong with the pipe from lowes either. It's all tested to the same standard, low end brands often don't have the needed accessories available for tricky installs.
Super-vent is the same company as Metalbestos/Hart&Cooley.
Yes they are as safe but not as easy to work with and in many cases not as durable.

Yes they are as safe but not as easy to work with and in many cases not as durable.
Super-vent double wall is just fine. I would not ever recommend triple wall pipe though. It's really cheap looking, fit and finish is poor.

Super-vent double wall is just fine. I would not ever recommend triple wall pipe though. It's really cheap looking, fit and finish is poor.
Compared to ventis and excell super vent double wall's fit and finish is not very good. But yes it is fine.

The chimney does not hang by the storm collar at all. In most cases it is supported at the bottom by a support box and then some depending on the height maybe some additional support brackets along the way. There are roof supports that do hang the chimney that go under the flashing but they are totally different.

The pitch being off a little wont matter at all. At worst you may need to trim the top of the flashing a bit but probably not.

You're right..looked wrong when I posted.. in fact the picture shows a box just as you describe

That said, mine hangs off a support on the roof joists, not supported at the bottom pr by a box.
. It dangles like a ceiling fan off a gimbal I guess hanging off the box is similar. In my case the ceiling is cathedral and there is no place for a box on horizontal joists

Don't know if it is that unusual, the building inspector passed it

Perhaps different methods are used by different vendors

Cathedral and ceiling support boxes are more common, but roof support is an option with some systems. Hart & Cooley has one attached to the chimney section.
DTRoofSupport70660(2).jpg 1363458085_1043_HC_TLCRS_Roof Support 10 to 14 inch.jpg

Yes.. that's what I was (poorly)trying to describe. In my case the "wings"are attached to the chimney by a ring colar

Have I mentioned lately that I am happy that @bholler and @webby3650 are here? They do this stuff for a living.

Have I mentioned lately that I am happy that @bholler and @webby3650 are here? They do this stuff for a living.

Preach it BrotherBart, the experience and wisdom these two and many others like them bring to the table is priceless.