Just bought a new stove!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthon

Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted but I just bought a drolet escape 1200.
My question here is how Hard or easy is it to install the stove pipe? It's going in my shed with no attic so it's really the easiest pipe install possible.
Just wondering what you guys have to say about this. I think the company wants 1k for a couple hours of work.

Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted but I just bought a drolet escape 1200.
My question here is how Hard or easy is it to install the stove pipe? It's going in my shed with no attic so it's really the easiest pipe install possible.
Just wondering what you guys have to say about this. I think the company wants 1k for a couple hours of work.
How are you going to have enough chimney height in your shed to run a modern stoves?

My stove says it needs 12 feet of height and I have pretty high ceilings so I don't belive that should be an issue. I have a small stove.

My stove says it needs 12 feet of height and I have pretty high ceilings so I don't belive that should be an issue. I have a small stove.
And you now have a real chimney installed?

What chimney are you installing? What will support the chimney? I'm guessing it's going straight up through the roof.

Ya it's going straight through the roof, I'm going to do single pipe in the shed and double outside. Not sure on the brand name I'm still waiting for the company to let me know.

The only thing I'm nervous about is installing the support piece for the pipe through the roof. I've watched videos and think I can do it but just curious if anyone has done it themselves.

Ya it's going straight through the roof, I'm going to do single pipe in the shed and double outside. Not sure on the brand name I'm still waiting for the company to let me know.

The only thing I'm nervous about is installing the support piece for the pipe through the roof. I've watched videos and think I can do it but just curious if anyone has done it themselves.
Yes I have done it a couple hundred times. You just have to add framing to mount it to. Depending upon how your shed is framed that may be at the bottom of the roof. Or at the bottom of the trusses where a ceiling would be

20230318_113942.jpg

This is the inside, I'm currently insulating it with styrafoam. Sorry i can't reply to you for some reason my browser messes up.

This is the inside, I'm currently insulating it with styrafoam. Sorry i can't reply to you for some reason my browser messes up.
Ok so in your case the support box will be mounted at roof level with framing added between the rafters to support it

That looks to me like 24" on center 2x6 cons, your going to need to box out and install a cathedral ceiling support box or a class a support bracket that supports the class a pipe and allows the single wall pipe to mate with the class a, I personally prefer the cathedral ceiling support, but it may look clunky in your application.

Just got the guy from my local store to swing by and said he only installs ICC pipe which is really expensive. Said I should get 4 feet inside and 6 feet outside plus a cathedral ceiling support box. Told him my stove needs 12 feet but he said to try 10 because 12 will look stupid on my shed roof.

Looks like some re-arranging is going to happen where ever you place the stove....

Drolet is a good brand, I had the drolet el dorado which must be the earlier version of the escape. You're gonna like it.

Don't know where you are located, but why don't you insulate with rolled faced fiberglass? Looks like 24" OC studs?

It's an easy enough job to run the vent pipe also instead of paying someone else to do it and then thinking, "Chit! I could've done that!"

Pics when it happens either way......

Yes some rearranging will happen for sure, my shed isn't water tight so I'm afraid of mold that why I'm using styrafoam. I wish I bought a different shed. I tried my best to water proof it but still don't know if it's 100% water proof or not.

I live in ontario, I'm honestly thinking the same thing, once the job is done I'll sit there and say wow I could of done that.

I'm still trying to find pipes but once it's all done I'm for sure going to be posting

Reactions: yooperdave
Yes some rearranging will happen for sure, my shed isn't water tight so I'm afraid of mold that why I'm using styrafoam. I wish I bought a different shed. I tried my best to water proof it but still don't know if it's 100% water proof or not.

I live in ontario, I'm honestly thinking the same thing, once the job is done I'll sit there and say wow I could of done that.

I'm still trying to find pipes but once it's all done I'm for sure going to be posting
Single wall stove pipe into class "A" (what many people call double wall) has worked for many decades for many thousands of owners. I don't know what building stores are in Ontario, but something like a menards would be able to set you up completely.

I just did a 10 x 12 shed this summer. I used fiberglass and then added sheet styrofoam (bead board) for the ceiling. The floor is not insulated and is on blocks with wide open underneath.

Point of all that is this, a little ice shack stove with a single wall 3" flue start to finish heats that shack up warmer than you want it!

IMG_20220811_131723097_HDR.jpg

Ya even today was -5 and inside my shed was +5. I planned on insulating the floor but now afraid that it'll be to hot and I can always do it later on if need be.

I am so damn excited for this project just wish I had more time to work on the shed.

A real negative aspect of this forum is the mods' propensity to move threads to obscure pages. All it serves to do is stimy discussion.
Really? This is the forum dedicated to the op's stove brand. We went this way to make it easier for people to find relevant threads.

Really? This is the forum dedicated to the op's stove brand. We went this way to make it easier for people to find relevant threads.
I'm sure your reasoning is sound, just observing what I see.

I don't understand the issue; people thst have seen the thread and are interested in it, can click on "watch", and those alerts remain regardless of where the thread ends up. And people who haven't seen the thread yet, will find it in the section dedicated to the brand.

So no one "loses" the thread unless they forgot to click to watch the thread.

I don't understand the issue; people thst have seen the thread and are interested in it, can click on "watch", and those alerts remain regardless of where the thread ends up. And people who haven't seen the thread yet, will find it in the section dedicated to the brand.

So no one "loses" the thread unless they forgot to click to watch the thread.
The issue I see is that you miss a potentially large amount of traffic from people who aren't trawling through the sub forums.
Especially in this case where the thread isn't even about the stove in question, but a generic query about installing stove pipe and chimney.

I see.

I don't ever go to subforums. I just go to forums/new posts. That way I see all posts that are new since my last visit, and I'm not even aware of what subforum a post is.

The issue I see is that you miss a potentially large amount of traffic from people who aren't trawling through the sub forums.
Especially in this case where the thread isn't even about the stove in question, but a generic query about installing stove pipe and chimney.

True that! The very fact that the stove was just purchased and with no experience using it what-so-ever, shows that it is not a review of the stove since there is absolutely no use of it.

Maybe at some point way down the road, the OP will post a review of it.......

Until then, please move the thread back to it's original location.