Just bragging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I finally measured how much I have split and stacked.....almost 9 cords!! I just kept going.

Not bad for a newbie. About 3 cords have been css since January.

This will be my first winter with the stove.
c32f4b85a7457d9e60bae60a92151441.jpg

Ok you wiper snapper. In my day, you had to suffer with wet delivered wood that you were told was seasoned by the delivery guy. That was how it was....and we liked it. So what’s your plan with all that wood? Gonna have good heat and save a bunch of money on heat and be warm and not have to worry about running out? Some plan.
All joking aside, that is really awesome, my hat is off to you-,especially as a newbie. It’s not easy to pull that off. I’ve been using the stove now for 5 yrs and usually stay about a year ahead on wood. 9 cords puts you in a real nice place.
How much do you figure you’ll need per winter?

Reactions: Slocum and Lone_Gun
It's like money in the bank the more the merrier. It's nice to get ahead as much as possible, stoves today like dry wood. Nice job a lot of work went into doing that!

Reactions: Slocum
Thanks. I have no idea how much I’ll need. Maybe 3-4 cords.

Right now I enjoy it. I’m sure after 15 years of this I’ll be burn out.

I'm in the same boat as you although this coming season will be my second full season with the stove. I have around 10-12 cords, and each time you begin to think "ok this is it, I'm done for now" you come up with a new spot to put a stack due to some other scrounge you couldn't resist, or a friend/family member taking a tree down and keeping the wood for you. It's all part of being a firewood geek.

If you envision yourself burning out after some years of keeping up with it, just buy the equipment you'd need to maximize your efficiency. A splitter is a huge time and body saver. I had hopes of never buying one and doing everything by hand...That hope lasted for one year until I used my Uncle's splitter, and a month later went out and bought my own.

Reactions: illini81