Just got a Drolet and installed this friday!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liv2wrshp

Nov 2, 2008
Rockford, IL
This forum rocks. I've learned soo much. Great news is that I found a guy that bought a brand new Drolet Insert with brushed nickel trim and sold it to me for $450. It has never even been fired. I'm having it installed this friday once my liner comes in which I got for a great deal for like $415 shipped for 6" 25 feet kit.

Also, the installer feels it is best to rip out my old ZC fireplace and reframe it to code so that there is more room and it'll fit perfectly. That's ok, right? He's doing it for $400 if I give him a hand. He does a lot of the installs around town for the big shops and does great work.

What do you guys think so far? Sound like I'm missing anything?

He says that he is going to reframe it with metal studs and firebrick. The insert needs 21.5 height and my fireplace is only 21. He said that it'd be easier this way.

I guess that should be okay. Normally the inserts are installed into pre-existingMasonary fireplaces.
Have your insurance guy look @ it when when your installer's done just to make sure.
If Drolet's inserts are as good as their free standing stoves, you got a steal of a deal ;-)

liv2wrshp said:
Would you install it a different way if the insert is bigger than the Prefab would allow?

Because of the way prefabs are designed, I think your installer is approaching it about the only way it can be done without TONS of rebuilding. Make dang sure he sticks to the install manual and clearance to combustibles when rebuilding the fireplace.

Congrats on the stove neighbor.

What ZC fireplace is this and how far off is the Drolet from fitting? To my knowledge there is nothing in the Drolet 1400i manual permitting this type of installation. If the ZC fireplace opening is close to size, perhaps the opening can be slightly enlarged by removing trim or a door track? I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm fairly certain it is far from code approved, so the question of how safe is paramount.

BeGreen said:
What ZC fireplace is this and how far off is the Drolet from fitting? To my knowledge there is nothing in the Drolet 1400i manual permitting this type of installation. If the ZC fireplace opening is close to size, perhaps the opening can be slightly enlarged by removing trim or a door track? I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm fairly certain it is far from code approved, so the question of how safe is paramount.

Hey BG, it sounds like the installer was building a "new" fireplace to me. If that were the case, would it meet code (obviously the new FP would have to be to code?)

If that ain't whats going on, I know nothing', I see nothing' (in my best Schultz voice).

Yea. He's essentially building a fireplace from scratch with metal studs and firebrick. He seems like a pro. He does the installs for all the major players in town. Jags, where you from? I'm in Loves Park, IL

liv2wrshp said:
Yea. He's essentially building a fireplace from scratch with metal studs and firebrick. He seems like a pro. He does the installs for all the major players in town. Jags, where you from? I'm in Loves Park, IL

Right now, I am probably sitting no more than 10 minutes from you.

liv2wrshp said:
Oh man. I should have just paid you. Ha. Is $400 a good deal for install?

Oh, make no mistake, I am not a pro installer, I just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. $400 doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me, assuming the installer is a good one.

pm sent.

Sorry to be skeptical, but it sounds like the installer is creating a homebrew fireshield and not a full masonry fireplace for $400. I'm not saying he won't try to make it safe, but code proper?

Should I suggest that he just adjust the current fireplace to give us an inch or so? Also, do you keep the fake brick sheet things in the back and sides of the prefab?

Oh, and one more. It has a gas line that's capped off and is sitting on the left side. I'm assuming that needs to be cut and taken out?

Should I suggest that he just adjust the current fireplace to give us an inch or so? Also, do you keep the fake brick sheet things in the back and sides of the prefab?

Oh, and one more. It has a gas line that's capped off and is sitting on the left side. I'm assuming that needs to be cut and taken out?

BG you might very well be right. On the other hand, this is the land of masons and plasterers. It is possible that he found somebody that is hungry. I would question the installer on his intent, for a clearer picture of whats going on.

If it is possible, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just adjust the existing FP.

Too many variables here to give good advice. It sounds like there are compound issues, most are bending or against code. If you can post a picture or two maybe some other members can comment. Otherwise this is just speculation. I need to get off to work and I know time is important to you, so I'll summarize my concerns that you'll need to consider if building anew.

1)the hearth - The insert is designed to sit on an entirely masonry or prefab hearth that will isolate high bottom heat from combustibles. How is the installer safely addressing this. A layer of firebrick is not going to isolate the heat from the underlying floor.

2) the firebox - the surrounding firebrick is going to get hot after hours, days or weeks of burning. How is this heat isolated from the nearest combustibles? How is it ventilated?

3) the flue system. Is this going to be class A? Normally an insert is connected to a liner, isolated in the flue from combustibles. How will this be configured?

Like I said, this is off the books as far as the manufacturer is concerned. So I wouldn't go forward until you have a very clear game plan that you can live with. If it's not very safe, it's not worth a cheap stove or install, even if it was for free. I'm sure it can be done, but this is the sort of thing that I would spend quite a bit of time planning. Otherwise, I'd rather sit the insert on some cement blocks and a steel sheet, with a proper flue, so that I could monitor it's behavior and heat radiation closely. (though I'm not recommending this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.