just got back from a road trip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
hey guys,
just returned from a tour of several states north of my Va home, saw some interesting things, im assuming these areas do not have inspectors of my buddy ELK's caliber, if they have them at all

delaware: a home which apparantly had a chimney fire recently. seems his woodstove burned his garage down to the ground, was kinda funny in retrospect , stove was still sitting there on the garage floor , pipe laying around, charred stubs of studs sticking up around it, i didnt see any multiwalled pipe, looked like singlewall was all he had it vented with. no idea what the real story was and i didnt stop by, just saw it and slowed down to take it in.

pennsylvania: easton area, house with a pellet vent sticking out a window through a board, just plain stupid

maryland: stove pipe sticking out of window and elbowed up , in a mobile home, couldnt have been more than 8 ft of stack inside and out total , barely cleared the roofline. top foot or so was sooted black, i hate to think how it burned

new york: near binghamton 2 story home with single story addition , brick chimney clearing the peak of single story roof by about 2 ft, with probably 4 to 6 foot of singlewall stacked on top of it , poor design of chimney , and/or poor decision on locvation of flue, should have run it up next to the 2 story and cleared the higher roofline.

Education is key, apparantly these folks did not post their questions on hearth.com before they got started,

Mike the week away one of our members Nick stumbled on an anti smoke site. including banning of wood/ .pellet stoves
I knew of their existance but did not judge their influence and organizational size. Unfortunately they pose a real threat to our way of life and your employment
Member here had a jolly time poking holes in their arguements but the more linkks found the bigger the anit smoke following is.
no real battles V cat vs non cat they ended till the next time one brings them up the problem plagueing the Ever burn stoves turned out to be air leakage caused bt the ash door
hinges. PM or I call you I need you help aslo go a page or two back to catch up on the next donor install check out the press release post any ideas are welcome

stoveguy2esw said:
hey guys,
just returned from a tour of several states north of my Va home, saw some interesting things, im assuming these areas do not have inspectors of my buddy ELK's caliber, if they have them at all

delaware: a home which apparantly had a chimney fire recently. seems his woodstove burned his garage down to the ground, was kinda funny in retrospect , stove was still sitting there on the garage floor , pipe laying around, charred stubs of studs sticking up around it, i didnt see any multiwalled pipe, looked like singlewall was all he had it vented with. no idea what the real story was and i didnt stop by, just saw it and slowed down to take it in.

pennsylvania: easton area, house with a pellet vent sticking out a window through a board, just plain stupid

maryland: stove pipe sticking out of window and elbowed up , in a mobile home, couldnt have been more than 8 ft of stack inside and out total , barely cleared the roofline. top foot or so was sooted black, i hate to think how it burned

new york: near binghamton 2 story home with single story addition , brick chimney clearing the peak of single story roof by about 2 ft, with probably 4 to 6 foot of singlewall stacked on top of it , poor design of chimney , and/or poor decision on locvation of flue, should have run it up next to the 2 story and cleared the higher roofline.

Education is key, apparantly these folks did not post their questions on hearth.com before they got started,

They all had Summits. No problem

Shoulda said something Mikem you prolly drove right past me.

And yes the houses burned down, but the Summit still standing untouched ;)

Hogwildz said:

What part of PA are you at anyway.
Heard you mention Allentown in the donor post Most of my family is from there..... Easton is nearby.
My brother moved to State college and my sister in Harrisburg. When I visit them I zip through the A.B.E. area....... yeah I remember when the airport was named ABE......I'll probably be doin' another road trip to visit the family this summer I'll stop by and bring a case of yeungling for ya ;-) hee hee hee. Naw I'm kidding ya.

Hogwildz said:

yeah , but it wasnt whorehouse red, more like smoked dark grey

as for the letting ya know, the trip was laid on kinda fast didnt have time to map it out , just plugged in the garman and went where it said to

GVA said:
Hogwildz said:

What part of PA are you at anyway.
Heard you mention Allentown in the donor post Most of my family is from there..... Easton is nearby.
My brother moved to State college and my sister in Harrisburg. When I visit them I zip through the A.B.E. area....... yeah I remember when the airport was named ABE......I'll probably be doin' another road trip to visit the family this summer I'll stop by and bring a case of yeungling for ya ;-) hee hee hee. Naw I'm kidding ya.

I am now near Berwick, which is next too Bloomsburg. Between Bloom & Wilkes Barre.
I used to live about an hour below Easton. Lemme know when your coming through again, I'll by ya some beers.

stoveguy2esw said:
Hogwildz said:

as for the letting ya know, the trip was laid on kinda fast didnt have time to map it out , just plugged in the garman and went where it said to

Lame excuse LOL J/k,
Understandable, last minute things tend to be less thinking & planning & more rush rush.

stoveguy2esw said:
Hogwildz said:

That's a big GOTCHA. Spewed fine Canadian and regular old tap water over the LT screen. Took a whole paper towel to damp it down.

stoveguy2esw said:
oops, sorry rich! was about half in the bag when i typed that , just now realised how funny it was, guess i owe ya a beer. if i get the chance to go to utah in the future i'll bring some with me.

Ahhh, just save your money. Send me a free refurbished stove for the shop and we'll call it even. :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.