Just had a chimney fire with my BK King!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So how would they avoid it after the warm days? Cant sweep after every warm day.
Use proper burning techniques and dry wood all the time regardless of outside temps

They burned low and slow for a day or two on a chimney that was clean to begin with. So now what?

They burned low and slow for a day or two on a chimney that was clean to begin with. So now what?

Now it has a little crud in it and it's that much closer to needing to be swept. When I am burning sub prime wood, I sweep every time the stove is cool enough in shoulder season. Takes 10 minutes. Even if you don't get much crud out of the pipe, it's 10 minutes well spent.

Thought maybe there was a ramping technique to avoid a chimfire. Maybe burn a CSL?

Not uncommon at all really. We just had a few warm days where people shut back really hard and today it was cold and windy. They opened up their stoves and lit off the chimney. We see it every year.

How many were masonry, class a?

No one said it was clean to start with. If it needs cleaned clean it

The bk stoves in bypass shoot flames right up the flue.

My Woodstock Fireview was set up the same way, and with the bypass open the flames could shoot right up the pipe, the flue temp could flash from something reasonable to pegged on the temp gauge in what seemed like seconds. I had the temp probe about 18" above the stove. The set up with a straight up pipe right off the stove was the worst for this. I also had another install where the pipe went straight out the back of the stove thru a wall thimble then up, that set up was not as touchy. I experienced two minor chimney fires with the first set up, both with lots of funny noise and hot smells coming from the connector pipe, bypass was open both times.