Just heard noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Like few pebbles falling down flue. It is ss, capped and was cleaned oct 1. We've been jurnin 1 year seasoned wood and not building up creosote in the stove.

That noise isn't good though is it?

Odds are, it's nothing to worry about. Which stove was this?

Don't sound like a major problem to me.

The Fireview 201. Stovetop and flue are both about 450 right now which is a little hiker than normal flue with cat engaged. Stovetop temp is on it's way up about 45 minutes in.

I may be wrong but 450 is about 850 flue gas temp my probe says 1000 is to hot.

If it were me I would check it out when it cools, its probably nothing but you'll sleep better when you confirm its nothing.

Yeah, the 450 for the pipe is a little hot. Is that surface temps? The surface pipe temps really shouldn't be that, especially with the cat engaged.

O the cat is lit off i missed that.

From all the research i have done on cat stoves that don't sound right.

Yeah it's weird. I opened the air all te way. DH threw in a big (4 inch by 12 inch) piece of Northern white cedar to see what it would do. I don't think we will do that again!

Stovetop 600 pipe 400. Surface pipe. Opened door for a minute and opened cat pass for about 5. No change, closed door and cat, left air open.

More than likely just some soot or perhaps some light creosote in the chimney falling down. Note to self. Check the chimney soon even if just for peace of mind.

Like few pebbles falling down flue. It is ss, capped and was cleaned oct 1. We've been jurnin 1 year seasoned wood and not building up creosote in the stove.

That noise isn't good though is it?
I had the same thing happen last week,see thread what happened here,I believe I had a small chimney fire and the burning creosote was falling down the pipe.My chimney was cleaned in Oct,but I guess it could happen,also had hot embers hitting underside of cap,and then a fireball,after that everything was okay.I'm going to check it out further tomorrow.

Yeah it's weird. I opened the air all te way. DH threw in a big (4 inch by 12 inch) piece of Northern white cedar to see what it would do. I don't think we will do that again!

Stovetop 600 pipe 400. Surface pipe. Opened door for a minute and opened cat pass for about 5. No change, closed door and cat, left air open.

I also thought it was soot falling down the pipe but i did not want mention it at first.

I used a creosote remover (powder) on my Class A every week or so. That was with my old stove (non-EPA). I found that after I burned a cord and a half I would have about 5 inches of fallen creosote flakes at the clean-out cap. It even started to block the flue and cause the draft to get marginal. I have heard creosote flakes falling down the chimney when I have a good strong fire a few days after I use the crosote remover. It is normal and good as far as I am concerned.

I now have an EPA stove and it is burning much cleaner but I still plan on using the creosote remover until I know how much is being deposited. Given what I am seeing for smoke (next to nothing), I should be able to cut back on the creosote remover to once every 3 to four weeks.

MnDave

Status
Not open for further replies.