Just installed a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting the video and helpful information. I'm considering a Neo 1.6 insert. It would replace a Quadrafire 3100. To meet homeowners insurance requirements, we either need to go with a flush insert or do substantial work on our hearth and mantelpiece.

This means we'd go from a 2 cu ft firebox to a 1.6 cu ft. I'm concerned about it being (or feeling) too small.

Also, do you have any issues with the logs and/or ashes spilling out, or does the bottom of the box sit an adequate amount below the lip of the opening?

If you wouldn't mind posting a picture or two of the inside of the stove, that would be super helpful.

Also, now more than a year into its use, are you still happy with the stove?

Hello Everyone,

10/20/15
Today was finally install day. I appreciate the input on everything from everyone during this long process, but it was worth the effort and just in time as the weather in the MA is starting to cool down fast.

Since everyone likes pics I thought I'd give everyone an update on the purchase experience and install. This will also give me a place to document/reference if I have questions in the future.

I decided to go with the Hampton HI300 for the firebox size, aesthetics and reviews on hearth.com. It was the largest I could fit in the current fireplace. With the house only 1400 SF this unit should deliver and then some. I also finally figured out a solution to level the hearth with the fireplace firebox (there was a 1" height difference) along with meeting front clearances.

Estimated costs: (I did my best to keep them reasonable)

HI300 - Floor unit from CT- $2000
Best Flex 25' x 6" Liner kit - $450
Install by certified installer w/ block plate and slight grind out of masonry firebox to avoid cutting off. leveling legs. Damper plate removed by simply popping it out. Can be reused again if needed. $750
New Hearth:
Micore 300 4' X 8' piece - $30
Black Galaxy Slab - 64" x 25" from Craigslist - $75
Steel Bar to fill hearth gap - 1.75 X .75" - $30
Misc.. Parts:
Roxul - $45,
Stainless Steel piece 12" X 48" - $30
Stove Thermometer - $20
Infrared gun - $20
Ash hoe - $30
Vintage wood box - $40

ESTIMATED TOTAL: $3520

Pics are below:

BEFORE:
oqhago.jpg

HEARTH BUILD:
1e1c0m.jpg
1e1c0m.jpg

23hw3yf.jpg

11ch8gp.jpg

WOOD STORAGE BUILD (to supplement exterior storage) & VINTAGE WOOD BOX FIND:

m79boo.jpg

30rtt2w.jpg

2112jb7.jpg

BLOCK PLATE INSTALL:
15yx11k.jpg

AFTER:

2z6w5mq.jpg

2z6w5mq.jpg

I'm tired of burning $$$ so on to the break in burns! Suggestions on the learning curve are welcome! I need to continue the research.

Stay warm everyone. Winter is a comin'!

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the video and helpful information. I'm considering a Neo 1.6 insert. It would replace a Quadrafire 3100. To meet homeowners insurance requirements, we either need to go with a flush insert or do substantial work on our hearth and mantelpiece.

This means we'd go from a 2 cu ft firebox to a 1.6 cu ft. I'm concerned about it being (or feeling) too small.

Also, do you have any issues with the logs and/or ashes spilling out, or does the bottom of the box sit an adequate amount below the lip of the opening?

If you wouldn't mind posting a picture or two of the inside of the stove, that would be super helpful.

Hi Samtucker,

My apologies for hijacking the thread. I did it long ago when I was considering the Neo 1.6. It's slick and PE seems to have a solid reputation and warranty. I liked the unit but even as a newbie I could see the firebox size would be an issue. Also the surround sizes didn't fit my application well for a standard install. I liked Swords install a lot but we had a width issue with the standard surround and I remember the oversize being too much. If you are still in the market then definitely take a look at the unit in person at a PE dealer. I also looked at other flush models there are some others with larger fire boxes ( Neo 2.5) but you'll need deep chimney to fit them. That's where they fell off the list for us. They are also pretty pricey. The forum here also warns on the necessity to use the blower on all flush models or you will not see much heat output. This was a big concern for us as we are in an area prone to occasional power outages.
Best of luck in the hunt.

I forgot to mention I had a heck of a mental battle with the hearth scenario. Our Masonry firebox was 1" higher then the hearth. Even with a flush unit it would sit well and look odd in my opinion. Swords install gave a great idea for install options. I was quoted $1800-2000 to redo the hearth . I ended up finding a way that will stand the test of time in appearance at a good price-$150 and meet the necessary clearances. Folks here helped with ideas and clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.